FPS is constantly low and I don't know WHY

Mar 1, 2018
Specs:
Hello everyone, I am all out of ideas and need help. a couple days ago, about June 3rd or 4th, my computer was working great. I just got a new 144hz monitor a week prior ad everything was working well. On the given date, however, I restarted my computer, no particular reason just a reboot after sitting on for a while, like usual. The startup went fine and everything loaded normal. However: now all the games and my windows on my desktop have dropped a significant amount, to the point where i cant play anything. The frames I usually get are 140-200 on any given game, but now im getting 60-20 all the time. I am not sure what is causing this or how to find that info out. It was literally such a random time that it occurred because there were no updates or anything going on during the restart. My specs and what i have tried so far are all below. anything helps.

Specs
-AMD Ryzen 5 1600 six-core
-Corsair vengance 8gb ram
-gtx 1060 6gb gpu
-MSI z370 Gaming Plus motherboard

Additional details
-Drivers are all up to date
-Temps have been monitored and are normal
-Windows is up to date
-No Unnecessary apps (or any apps at all) were downloaded between when it was working right and when it wasn't. The single thing i can think of is a single dlc download for a steam game

What I have tried
-Tried overclocking the cpu, but doesnt seem to have overclocked and is running at 1.55 ghz. I dont know what the normal ghz was befor the drop
-Tried rolling back the drivers to teh previous driver, nothing.
-Turned down all in-game settings and closed ANY extra apps, nothing.
-Tried deleting and reinstalling games (even though the lag is on my desktop too) , nothing
-Basically tried everything i could find online, but it seems to be a deeper issue

If you need anymore info please just ask, I am very lost and I dont know what else to do because 2 days of searching online has led to no progress

Solution
So you have a 1060, should able to keep 50~60fps on max quality on 1080p res on most demanding games,

1440p has 2x more pixels than 1080p,
Check your gpu usage see if it is 100% under load

Others may be windows update /bios causing it

Ztdutxjgxgtu

Respectable
Nov 30, 2016
So you have a 1060, should able to keep 50~60fps on max quality on 1080p res on most demanding games,

1440p has 2x more pixels than 1080p,
Check your gpu usage see if it is 100% under load

Others may be windows update /bios causing it

Solution

GR1M_ZA

Reputable
Apr 29, 2014
"Tried overclocking the cpu, but doesnt seem to have overclocked and is running at 1.55 ghz. I dont know what the normal ghz was before the drop"

That is not right, the 1600 runs at 3.2Ghz and 3.6Ghz boost. Check CPU while gaming, is it at 1.55Ghz while gaming?

Mar 1, 2018

you are right, i am getting 3.85 GHz