Hibernating even though hibernate is turned off

Sander_4

Reputable
Jan 3, 2017
Hello,
I got this odd bug with windows 10. I have turned of Hibernation completely, there is no hyberfil.sys and fast startup doesnt show as an option anymore. But sometimes when I click shutdown, and then startup the pc later on, the same apps and same tabs in chrome are still opened.

Now this wouldnt really matter to me if everything worked correctly. The thing is, I've had this weird thing with my pc. When I click shutdown and go to sleep, then I wake up in the morning and my pc cant start anymore. No signs of life, fans not spinning, no lights, NOTHING. Most of the times I fix this by turning the PSU on and off, sometimes unplugging the power cable etc. But there are times when that doesnt work, usually I leave the psu off and the power cable out for an hour or more. Then it usually starts up again. But today was different, it didnt start at all even after 3 hours, what I ended up doing is replugging the 24-pin connector, and it worked again. Oh and, my pc still had all the apps open when it started, including all the tabs I had open in chrome the night before.
I've done a bit of research and everything seems to point at the hibernation of my pc (even though its been turned off).

Does anyone know a fix to this (most likely hibernation) problem?
Thanks in advance

Solution
1st paragraph is a new feature of windows 10, it does remember what was open on previous shutdown even with Fast Startup turned off. They changed how windows shutsdown so it can remember this info.

2nd paragraph: Check you have latest motherboard BIOS.drivers as it might be an old driver not liking the win 10 power modes.

If you don't have a hiberfile it can't be hibernating

Colif

Win 11 Master
1st paragraph is a new feature of windows 10, it does remember what was open on previous shutdown even with Fast Startup turned off. They changed how windows shutsdown so it can remember this info.

2nd paragraph: Check you have latest motherboard BIOS.drivers as it might be an old driver not liking the win 10 power modes.

If you don't have a hiberfile it can't be hibernating

Solution

Sander_4

Reputable
Jan 3, 2017

It seems to have worked, didnt have the problem anymore. Dont know what did the trick, maybe bios update. But its working so thank you