Screen tearing even when fps is lower than monitor's refresh rate

Status
Not open for further replies.

ducamvinh

Prominent
May 27, 2018
I have just bought a new monitor that have 75 Hz refresh rate, my budget is extremely limited, emphasize on extremely, so that's the best i could afford, besides, my system can't pump out fps higher than that anyway. When i play game, even when the fps counter counts my fps at around 60 fps, i still get a lot of screen tearing. This get solved by turning on v-sync, but i heard that v-sync can cause lagging in games, so is there anyway to limit this without having to turn on v-sync. The free-sync g-sync stuff is out of the window by the way, the monitor has free-sync, but my card is nvidia, and the g-sync ones are extremely expensive for me. Keep in mind that i live in vietnam, the currency here is extremely cheap, 1 us dollar is worth more than 22,000 of our currency, and 100,000 can barely get you a decent table, so your definition of cheap is a lot different from where i am.

Solution
Screen tearing can happen at any given time when GPU`s fps and monitors refresh rate is not in sync.

This can happen if the fps is higher than the Hz for the screen and the other way around. If the fps is lower than the Hz of the monitor. Thats why you have Vsync, Freesync and Gsync to help eliminate that.

Edit:
There is no real good way to eliminate the problem besides Vsync, Freesync or Gsync.
You can try setting your max fps close to the the refresh rate of the monitor if you dont wanna use Vsync. But no guarantee that it will work.
Screen tearing can happen at any given time when GPU`s fps and monitors refresh rate is not in sync.

This can happen if the fps is higher than the Hz for the screen and the other way around. If the fps is lower than the Hz of the monitor. Thats why you have Vsync, Freesync and Gsync to help eliminate that.

Edit:
There is no real good way to eliminate the problem besides Vsync, Freesync or Gsync.
You can try setting your max fps close to the the refresh rate of the monitor if you dont wanna use Vsync. But no guarantee that it will work.

Solution

ducamvinh

Prominent
May 27, 2018

so basically what you're saying is the only way is to have some kind of sync option turned on?

ducamvinh

Prominent
May 27, 2018

oh it's pretty low and not worth mentioning anyway
G4600
B250 mobo
1 stick of 8GB DDR4 ram
GTX 1050ti
400W PSU
120GB SSD

that's about it, the monitor is AOC G2460VQ6

WildCard999

Titan
I would just keep vsync enabled and it shouldn't cause any lagging or delay in your games.

For example when I play BF4 multiplayer I could run the game with no vsync at 199 FPS (BF4 cap) or run it at my native 75hz, going with the 199 FPS only causes more screen tearing and doesn't improve my gaming at all, I still get the same K/D as when I go with 75 FPS but at least with vsync on I don't get screen tearing.

ducamvinh

Prominent
May 27, 2018

yeah thanks for your response. I think I'll try using v-sync for the time being to see if there's any noticeable drop in performance.

Status
Not open for further replies.