MSI Z170A GAMING M5 - How many hard drives can I install?

megabear

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015
Hello, I built my PC for the first time couple years back and in the process of attempting to install a Samsung 860 EVO 500GB 2.5" SSD in addition to existing Samsung 850 EVO 250GB 2.5" SDD and Seagate 1TB 3.5" HDD. I realized I had completely forgotten how to do any of it so I'm here asking for your help.

I have a motherboard model MSI Z170A GAMING M5 and below is the specification pertaining to hard drives:

SATA: 6x SATA3 Ports (4-ports reserved for SATA Express Port), Support RAID 0, 1, 5, 10; 2x SATA Express Ports (PCI-Express 3.0 x2)

What does this mean? Does it mean I can install perhaps 2x SSD and 4x HDD?

I opened up my computer and found cables enough for only two drives, I think, and I'm guessing that means I may need to buy more cables to connect to the hard drives?

P.S. My power supply is EVGA SuperNOVA GS 650W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply in case this helps.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
what it means is if you do not use any of the SATA express ports, then you can install up to 6 SATA drives. any combo you want. if you do use a SATA express slot, then that cuts it down to 2 SATA drives as 4 of the ports are then used up by the SATA express slots.

power supply is ample to handle the 6 drives since they rarely use much power. maybe 25-30w max and you're highly unlikely to pull that from all drives at once. most of it will be simple data sitting there waiting ot be accessed meaning the drive will use almost nothing sitting idle.

and yes you need 1 sata cable for each drive. so 6 in total if you wish to use all the drives. 1 SATA slot = 1device and 1 cable for that device.

megabear

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

Thank you very much! One more question, I noticed that there are only two power cables for my SATA devices, does this mean I need to look for other power cables or attach power cables to the power supply? When I opened my PC up, it looked as if I may have to remove some of my stuff to even get to the power supply because there are so many cables and it's so chaotic in there. I couldn't really tell exactly where the smaller "L" shaped attachment cable for power was coming from. Sigh.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
as a modular psu you should only be using the cables you need. looking at the specs for the psu it came with a SATA cable that could connect 4 devices and 2 more that could handle 2 each. so you could power in theory 8 SATA devices.

you'll need to get the extras out of the box and hook up the one you need. i'd suggest the one with 4 more since you plan on going nuts with hdd's :)

it can handlel 3 of the SATA/molex cables so you should have an open slot for them on the psu.

megabear

Reputable
Feb 6, 2015

God, you're a life saver. Thank you thank you. :D

if you cant get all of the drives connected to one sata power look online for the molex 4 pin power connector to y sata power plugs. you be able to plug in two sata power devices to one y cable on the older molex power cable on your power supply. if you cant bent or reach all of the drives with one sata power cable.