Windows 10 Black Screen before Login screen

May 18, 2018
Hello. So i've been worried and scratching my head at this.

I recently just installed windows 10, initially i installed with my other HDDs plugged in resulting in the dreaded white flashing underscore screen. I removed them, left only my SSD in and reinstalled windows. Plugged in my other HDDs and wiped them with disk manager. Thinking this is okay now?

the resulting problem, is i see the bios splash screen, then maybe my mobo splash. then the screen goes black for afew seconds then proceeds to my windows login. as i havent actually have a comparison in what it should be when its 100% working, i.e my first installion was a mess. Is this right? im sure that it shouldnt go to a black screen and should just go from splash to windows login. Theres a video attached for easy viewing.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=arfkwt3-0-8&feature=youtu.be"][/video]

I bought the PC monday...

My systems are
i7 8700k
ASUS z370-E
1080ti Palit

May 18, 2018
should it be appearing though? my past machines never had this issue. Like in the video it does last afew seconds.

my friends machine, same mobo but an asus card, doesnt switch to a black screen.

is it supposed to do that rather than well, its wrong but it not like it will break anything kinda thing

Will not break anything and doesn't mean it's broken. May also depend on video out connection, GPUs always had a proffered output port, I believe that one has one preferred DP ports. Another possibility is monitor itself that might need some time to adjust to resolution and frequency.

May 18, 2018
Yeah so i have the 1080 ti super jetstream. Its using a HDMI from the gpu to monitor atm as i do not have a displayport cable.

so black screens on startup are normal? when i googled alot about this. This type of screen was just surrounded with errors - jsut because it goes to windows im not 100% sure that its 'working'

i mean. does your computer do a similar start up sequence of screens, one being black/blank?

Yes, because this GPU also uses DP as default but main monitor is connected thru HDMI. Second monitor is connected from DP over adapter to HDMI and when starting computer show BIOS screen first, followed by main monitor and third monitor is last to show picture, it's DVI connection.
I have Samsung 960 Evo for system disk and shows black screen for half a second on main monitor, the other two do not show picture until windows are fully started.

May 18, 2018
so the duration of the black screen may be reduced by using a DP into the GPU instead of a hdmi. I did just realise that the screen looks as though it completely turns off (Not power wise) but all picture, as if the monitor is not displaying anything.

and that time where there is nothing being display is the gpu fireing up? i have only a 860 evo, so maybe its not as fast so the black screen lingers longer? not sure why mines about 2seconds of nothing. is the ssd even involved if its about the GPU at this point?

is there something to completely remove it? or will it always be appearing in the boot sequence

Disk or SSD is involved insomuch while drivers are loading, OS dictates which drivers are loaded first, graphic card driver has to be one of the first ones to load but not necessarily first. In some instances I found network driver to be loaded first.

May 18, 2018
so is there a way to completely remove the black screen. or is it the nature of new and more powerful hardware now. and the black screen will appear in everyones boot sequence? im trying to elminate the fact that i may have installed some dodgy drivers or the os wrong? im pretty sure the screen was introduced after i installed my latest gpu drivers.

My current machine, is like 6 years old. hence the new purchase but it doesnt show a black screen at all.

caspadan

Commendable
Jun 11, 2018
I have been plagued with an issue on startup where the monitor does like a refresh thing 1 to 3 times upon startup (usually on the logon screen or just after logon). It's like the monitor's resolution is being adjusted or something (you hear the disconnect/connect audio - like when plugging in a device). It's becoming very annoying now.

I'm using:
i7-4700k + z87x-ud3h + 16gb RAM
r9 280x (+ hd 7950)
Dell s2817q 4K monitor
crucial mx100 512gb ssd (windows 10 / graphics drivers installed here)
2 x hdd (1tb + 2 tb)