Screen too bright after Window's 10 Fall creator's Update.

funchal99

Reputable
Dec 16, 2017
Hello there,

I've been having an issue ever since last year, once the first fall creator's update for Windows 10 rolled out (1709, I think?). Once I updated, the colors in my screen just got waaaay to bright, like I was using a white filter over it. I couldn't find any brightness settings (I'm on desktop), messing with the settings from my monitor itself didn't help either.

I then tried every fix I could possibly find on google, but none of them worked: going through Window's color calibration tool, checking the "use nvidia settings" on nvidia control pannel, updating all drivers, removing my monitor's profile from the system and then rebooting, typing colorcpl and then ticking the "use my settings for this device", messing with the tasks related to calibration loader, etc, etc, etc. The only solution I could find was to roll back to Window's 10 1067 version, which completely solved the issue, so I know my monitor is working fine.

However, after few months, Windows began to agressivelly force me to update, so I updated, tried any fix I could find to no avail before rolling back again. I did this about 3 or four times before I finally got fed up and looked for methods of blocking windows from forcing me to update through it's update assistant tool. I seem to have succeeded, but now it keeps reminding me, every single day, that I need some updates.

I know defering updates is not the ideal solution, and I think I can't keep doing this forever, so does anyone here know of another solution to this particular problem? I'd really like to avoid doing a clean install of Windows, since I don't have the time to backup all my files to then copy them all over again, not to mention re-installing all the programs and games I use. I know Windows 10 is already in version 1083, so it's a bit frightening that I need to keep mine so far behind.

Thanks in advance and sorry for all the text.

Solution
I just found out what the problem was: the windows update for some reason changed the Nvidia's card configuration to use "limited" output dynamic range instead of "full".

stdragon

Admirable
Most likely it was that your nVidia driver was out of date when you installed Win10 Fall Creators.

Perform a full backup of your computer. Update the nVidia driver to the latest version with the option in the install process to reset all settings back to defaults. Then proceed with the Win10 v1803 upgrade. In theory, you should be fine.

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
or you can do like me when I had an issue with the latest update 1803 (reinstall after downloading the install file.. and overwrite the current. dont save anything.. SO make sure you back it up first. OH and then install all the current drivers for your chipset, GPU, lan, and so on.

funchal99

Reputable
Dec 16, 2017

It kept happening evertime I update to Fall Creator's though. I always keep my drivers up to date, it is so right now. This an issue specific to the Fall Creator's update for some reason. I mean, I never reset all my settings to default when updating drivers, I guess I could try that when I have the time. Though I'm pretty sure I can't jump ahead to the 1803 update before installing the 1706 one, which is the one that appears on my update cue.

See, that's what I'm afraid of: if I update everything to 1706, then 1803, will I be able to roll back to the 1067 if the issue still persists?

funchal99

Reputable
Dec 16, 2017

Sorry for the ignorance, but I'm not sure I understand what you mean by reinstalling after downloading the install file...

funchal99

Reputable
Dec 16, 2017
I just found out what the problem was: the windows update for some reason changed the Nvidia's card configuration to use "limited" output dynamic range instead of "full".

Solution