Should I upgrade to an i7 4790k from an i5 4460?

Jun 11, 2018
My current CPU is an i5 4460. It tends to be at 100% load in any game demanding game I run. (Side question, Do all cpus max out in games?) I've been eyeballing the 4790k just because I dont want to buy half of my system again. Everything I have should work with the upgrade but I dont know if it is worth it.

Which game exactly is it? What are the rest of your components?

Some of them are capable of maxing out all quad core CPUs, creating a bottleneck.

As an owner of 4790k (and having previously owned 4460) I can say that the difference in such titles is huge. Not only the CPU runs at much higher clock speed by default, it also has 4 threads more and can be additionally overclocked.

Definitely worth it if you can find a good deal on one. They tend to be quite expensive, though.

In your post you say your CPU use is 100% but you don't say your performance is bad. The point is if you're getting acceptable performance then you don't need an upgrade. If you are NOT getting good performance it would help if you named the games and your videocard, so we know what we're working with here. I assume 1080p resolution.

SubZeroFlsh

Honorable
Aug 6, 2014
What's your graphics card? Because for gaming, I can't see an upgrade like this being worth it considering how much extra it'll cost you.

But keep an eye for second hand ones, as people will be upgrading their 4790K to newer generation ones.