Question about an unknown file type..

khaley

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011
Hello,

An .avi file is being treated as an unknown file type and I can't seem to get into it to change the file type back to .avi... I've tried the usual way, being Control panel/Appearance and personalisation/File Explorer options and deselecting Hide known file types etc but the problem is, of course, that the file is being treated as UNknown, so that didn't help me. Right now the file is just listed as 'File' under type. Is there anyway to change the file without having to download a program? Or, if not can you please recommend a program?

Thanks.

Solution
Maybe at some point the extension (the ".avi") has been deleted? Open a File Explorer, go to the View tab, and select the "show file extensions" (the exact wording might be different, i don't use an English version of Windows, but it should be right above the "show hidden files" option). Once this is done, select the file, press F2 (to change the name of the file), and add ".avi" at the end. Hopefully, this will make Windows recognize the file again as a video file. You can then deselect that extension option. Hope it helps! :)
Maybe at some point the extension (the ".avi") has been deleted? Open a File Explorer, go to the View tab, and select the "show file extensions" (the exact wording might be different, i don't use an English version of Windows, but it should be right above the "show hidden files" option). Once this is done, select the file, press F2 (to change the name of the file), and add ".avi" at the end. Hopefully, this will make Windows recognize the file again as a video file. You can then deselect that extension option. Hope it helps! :)

Solution

khaley

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2011

This worked. Thank you very much!