DELL SE2717H & AMD Freesync Issue

Jun 13, 2018
I've been having issues with my Dell SE2717H monitor when Freesync is enabled, when I play games in fullscreen mode, the screen blacks out completely for a second or 5 and then comes back again, and this happens randomly depending on what's being displayed. This gets resolved if I deactivate Freesync.

Also, when I switch the screen off and on at the power button or when it comes out of sleep mode, it also starts flashing Green or Black rapidly at a constant rate depending on the current frequency setting. Only a pc reboot solves this issue.

I've tried this with an Asus RX 570 Card, as well as a Sapphire RX 580 card, with just about every driver iteration available up until the latest version, and nothing seems to fix the problem, I have contacted Dell (Who replaced the Monitor with a brand new one), as well as AMD and Sapphire (who both keep repetitively asking stupid questions and giving useless feedback).

I've also tried different HDMI cables, motherboards, HDDs and fresh Windows 10 installations, still having the same issues.

COLGeek

Cybernaut
MERGED QUESTION
Question from kagebunshin15 : "DELL SE2717H & AMD Freesync issue"

In my experience, this might be a driver problem. I can't be 100% sure ofc, but I had all the same symptoms you report except for it flashing green.

Had the same issue with an Acer monitor for about 10 months. It drove me insane. Then one day a new driver update automatically installed... and bingo! Everything was fixed and it's been plain sailing since. I'm still using the original GPUs and original DP cable. It was a driver update that 'broke' it in the first place I might add.

Initially I tried raising a support ticket with AMD but got no response. After trying several different cards, different cables (HDMI, DVI and DP) and every new driver that came out, I was on the brink of selling my Radeon cards and Freesync monitor for the Nvidia alternatives. Then about 4 months ago everything was suddenly fixed with an update.

Something that might help you while you wait for that 'special' driver update...

Go to > Radeon Settings > Display > Specs > Overrride > Adjust Voltage Swing > set it to +2.

This reduced the screen blanking quite a bit for me, but it wasn't a 100% solution. Forza Horizon 3 was still giving me trouble.

The only other thing I can think of while you wait is trying an older driver... I found that whql-win10-64bit-radeon-software-crimson-relive-17.4.3-apr17 worked perfectly with Freesync. Only issue was that I needed a newer driver to play Forza Horizon 3. (A very annoying game for sure.) You should be able to find it on the AMD website still.

Good luck and you have my sympathy.