Dual monitors from GPU and Onboard?

Inayaa

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
Hi, i know this has been asked a billion times already... but nothing is working for me...
I have an Asus Z170-A mobo, an Nvidia 1060 strix GPU, and i want to set up dual monitors... the thing is, i need to plug 1 monitor to the onboard gpu, and the other one to the 1060.. i'm currently using the 1060 for my main monitor.. and my older monitor is connected, i went into the bios.. enabled the iGPU multi monitor.. but it doesnt work.. it wont recognize the second monitor.. i can either have one or the other.. could anyone give me some advice??

Most likely no and anyway you don't want to. I have tried, some manufacturer has developed some technology. But most of the time you run into trouble (Slow fps, graphic bugs, hiccups, ect.)

+1 Math Geek, run dual monitor from dedicated card.
It will run fine.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
iGPU multi monitor was the key feature as I recall. I've heard that you have to re-install the Intel Graphics driver to make it work.

But I agree, nothing wrong with running another monitor off of a GTX1060, even if you have to use adapters.

Eximo

Titan
Ambassador
Further reading suggests that recent BIOS releases may have broken this function for ASUS:
https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?100072-IGPU-Multi-Monitor-doesn-t-work-in-BIOS-3703

But does reveal that you might need to enable the iGPU, restart and then look at these two settings.
RC6(Render Standby)
DVMT PreAllocated

DVMT appears to be the amount of memory to give the iGPU.

Not sure if that has anything to do with the Spectre and Meltdown updates, but I'm sure those were rushed out there.

ASUS supplies Intel graphics drivers on their download pages, they may also be worth a try if Windows tries to install its own. Also no harm in trying the latest from Intel.

Inayaa

Commendable
Jan 17, 2017
Ah i see..
RC6(Render Standby)
DVMT PreAllocated
i did try using those, but nothing works.. i'll try installing newest drivers, but i doubt that will help.
I'll just get an adapter.. thanks a lot everyone