Looking to build a Windows 7 Gaming PC

finderskeepers

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
Hello everyone.

I am looking to build a Windows 7 gaming PC, but don't know what parts to get. Personally I know nothing about PC parts, so I was wondering if y'all can suggest some builds?

It would be used for The Sims 3, Fallout: New Vegas, The Witcher 2: Assassins of Kings Enhanced Edition, etc. This includes DLC, custom content, etc (if applicable).

I would like to be able to fully customize these games and play with all settings on high.

finderskeepers

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

I have heard that certain games run better on the system that they were made for, and I personally find that to be true. With these games that I would be playing, the system requirement says Windows 7 so, I figured I would be better off buying/building a Windows 7 gaming PC rather than getting them on a Windows 10 and have it not working (such as some people report).

As for budget, I would prefer less than $2,000, but I'm aware given that it's an older setup, it may not happen.

I don't have a monitor picked out - does this matter?

finderskeepers

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

Okay, thank you. I'll look into that.

finderskeepers

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

This is good to hear; thank you.

finderskeepers

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

If you don't mind me asking - why is this a dead end solution? Is it because Windows 7 is so old and outdated compared to Windows 10? (That's the only reason I can think of.) In some ways I personally prefer Windows 7 over 10, so I don't mind spending money on the old parts even though I can get the newer ones for cheaper if not the same price.

finderskeepers

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

Thank you for making the part list. If you don't mind me asking - would this play the games I mentioned + many more (old(er) games)? I wouldn't put Windows 7 on that build - no worries.

But - if, I do go with a Windows 7 PC - prebuilt - would this work as well? (Just curious.) https://www.ebay.com/i/332224639897?chn=ps - full description

If you don't mind me asking - why is this a dead end solution?

because Haswell is 4th Gen Intel, they are at 8th Gen CPu's , and dont get me wrong I have a 4th Gen System Myself, and I am counting the days until I can get an 8th gen system (especially after upgrading my wife's to an 8th gen system), as for games that ere designed originally with windows 7 in mind, they will run just fine if not faster/better under windows 10.

finderskeepers

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017

Okay, this is good to hear; thank you for explaining. (Sorry for the late reply.)

Sep 27, 2018
i tried windows 10 for a month what a nightmare won't touch it with a 10 foot pole that OS is trash wake up people. looking to do the same build and all i see in the comments is oh use 10 how about no

Sep 27, 2018
@the paladin since u want to do it let's have the debate..

Pros to windows 10
+Faster USB transfers
.... Shit guess that's it

Cons to windows 10
- that awesome tablet pos interface. Your response will be u can download an app to make it kinda feel like windows 7.. why isn't it suppose to be improved

-windows 10 spyware and the 20 things u need to do to get rid of it until they do an update and your back having to do it all.

-windows 10 updates can be turned off but not skipped can't tell you how angry I was when they decided to make my Merc stealth worthless cause of an update I cant skip or go back on not to mention my external DVD burner acts up as well.. your response it's time to upgrade them components why when windows 7 has no problem with them.

Gaming is worse on 10 slower frame rates and nothing but problems with direct x9 games but windows 10 has the Xbox support so we will call this a wash.

Bottom line is I like having some control of an OS not the other way around.. in 7 I can keep everything working unlike 10

I think you missed my point. I was answering the OP not trying to have a windows pro/con debate with anyone.

As for the argument, why would I want to run an OS that is lacking support, security patches and any new drivers for all the new hardware coming out.
sure you can patch it up with some half hacks to get it to run a Ryzen system, if it fit your pleasure.. go for it. I could not care less.

Oct 6, 2018
Keep in mind that the new games wont work on win7 so you will one day update to win10 since your goal is gaming . For example Forza Horizon 3 wont work on win7 .
Good luck