Type c Cables: can I use 1 cable for everything, charging (phone&laptop) datatransfere and eGPUs?

May 30, 2018
Hello,
This question concerns USBc & TB3 cables and wall adapters.
I was trying to change my setup to a 1 cable solution, but found out that "not all usbc cables are created equally". After reading into this I now have even more questions then when i started out with all of this.
The goal is to have one cable type to do everything i need, charging my laptop, phone headphone, tablet etc and also connecting my phone to my laptop (for exchanging files and images etc) or laptop to an eGPU (with more then just 50 cm of cable >.<).

Now, first for my laptop I will need a high wattage cable, it seems 100W is the max, is that correct? Could such a cable still charge my phone (p20pro) without frying it? Also are there any decent availible power plugs that deliver 100W to USBc without a power brick in between (similar to the macbook or matebook x pro chargers) (im am german, so if possible even with an EU plug, but likely if a US version exists a EU version will too.) ?

Next, when using this cable for an eGPU it would have to be an active TB3 cable due to the 20GBPs limit of passive cables (>50cm), is that correct? The TB3 port on my laptop is a 4xPCIe (32GBps) but i read that TB3 limits eGPU bandwidth to 22GBps anyway (therefore the small difference of 2x vs 4x PCIe?)? If so 20 or 22 wouldnt make a difference?
Further, i read that active TB3 cables are limited to USB2.0 in data transfere, what does this mean, what is the 40GBps for if not data transfere?
Would a passive cable be sufficient? This would be cheaper, support USB 3.1 & smaller end chips, is the 20GBps limitation a problem?

Sorry if some of these are rather obvious questions, looking forward to any help i can get from you, and hopefully i can learn a lot from all of this :)

Ralston18

Titan
"One ring to rule them all....."

Very much appreciate your ideas and the concept in general.

Lots of questions - yes.

Unfortunately, the overall situation goes against us.

Just go with and use the cables provided or recommended. Anything else, again unfortunately, just complicates the issues involved.

Label the cables and just move on.....

Way, way too many variables to deal with otherwise.

Just make the trade-offs.

Google: "rearranging deck chairs on the Titanic".