Upgrading my pc

Jun 12, 2018
Hello guys! I decided to upgrade my pc, I already bought a new gpu in december and thats the msi 1080 gaming x and Im really happy with it! Just a small problem and that is that I have to let one of my ram slots (closest one to the cpu) be open. Like the bottom ram clip. I wanted more ram, I currently have 8gb ddr3 1600mhz but with that ram clip open I cannot get more ram and also my cpu cooler is blocking one ram slot aswell...
specs:
Motherboard: MSI B85M-E45
Ram: 4x2 8gb 1600mhz
Hard drive: Seagate Desktop SSHD 1TB SATA 3.0
Graphics card: Msi 1080 gaming X
Psu: cooler master 700 watt
Processor: I7 4790
Cpu cooler: noctua nf-u9b se2
Chassi: Cooler master Carbide 200 R

So I decided to do a upgrade of my cpu so I need a new motherboard and ddr4 ram sticks.. Now to the question. I want the i7 8700 (non K) or the I5 8600K but the problem is that I dont know which motherboard thats good... I want a cheap motherboard but not so cheap so is bad and a motherboard that can fit my 1080 so I can use all of the ram slots.My maximum budget for new ram, motherboard and cpu is about 550 dollars. I dont think I need a new cooler and a new case but maybe the cooler is too weak for the 8th gen?

WildCard999

Titan
You have a really solid build and tbh that 4790 is a excellent CPU even by today's standards. I'd sell your 8gb kit and buy a 16gb kit (2x8gb) then invest your money into a better monitor or something else.

To give you an idea of how well your CPU performs I have the 4770K stock which is identical to your CPU paired with 16gb of RAM and a 1080 ti and I can easily game anywhere from 1080P/144hz to 4K/60hz without issues. For your budget I'd consider a monitor upgrade to a ultrawide, 2560x1080P/144hz/IPS/34".

Jun 14, 2018
I agree with WildCard. CPU is still great, the RAM you could upgrade to a 2X8GB sticks.

I would have said with faster speeds, but aim for lower latency. Maybe 2x8GB stick with 8 cast latency. I think that should be a decent upgrade.

I also would look into a better monitor maybe? IPS? 144hz? 1ms? Some type of monitor upgrade.

Jun 12, 2018
Im playing in VR and some games is cpu based for example xplane 11 in VR and Im not getting 45 fps even the settings set to medium while I see videos in youtube playing in high settings with vr. My cpu runs at 80% while my gpu is at 30-40%. Without vr Im getting 40-50 fps and in vr I get 20-25. But you guys are right I could get 2x8gb ram and save money for something else. The problem I dont like is the gpu pushing down the ram clips so I need to remove my gpu and install ram then place the gpu back again but is not that hard to do.

Or I could get a new smaller cpu cooler? Maybe a liquid one so it dont take one ram slot so I could just buy 2x4 or 2x8 or what you guys think?

WildCard999

Titan
Well the system will perform slightly better in dual channel so I'd try to keep it 2x8gb (after upgrade). As for your low FPS there might be something else causing those low FPS, for VR (I'm using Oculus) you should be at 90 FPS so your not getting stuttering or dizziness/nausea. What are your CPU/GPU temps while gaming/VR? Also are your GPU drivers up to date?

For a smaller cooler so you can use all your RAM slots I'd recommend the Cryorig H7.

WildCard999

Titan
Ok so the temps aren't the issue, you may want to make sure your GPU driver is up to date. Next thing I'd check is scanning your system for viruses/malware, I'd use Bitdefender/Malwarebytes (respectively-both free) and do full scans.

Jun 12, 2018
Yea, my gpu driver is up to date (398.11) I also searched for malwares yesterday with no results. I have no idea what it could be... Might be something wrong with the gpu? I never seen it run in 100% in games only in 10-30% in. I tried unigine superposition benchmark and I got 4096 in score with textures high and shaders extreme max fps 34.

WildCard999

Titan
Yea it's not right, gaming you should be around 70-80% max with the CPU and GPU should be in the 90's. If we can't figure it out then the last option I'd suggest is doing a clean install of the OS but we can use that as a last resort. Check the Task Manager for anything that may be causing the high CPU usage.

Jun 12, 2018
I did delete msi live update this week because it was taking some of my cpu and it helped a little with the temps but Im not sure about the performance. Right now I don't have any game on in the background and task manager says WMI Provider Host takes 2.1% of the cpu and thats the highest right now.

Jun 12, 2018
Right now 48% in game is about 80% (2217MB) and the hard drive is about 100% in about 20 sec when loading a game which is normal and in game is about 3%

Jun 14, 2018
It sounds like it's part of your RAM issue. RAM is typically 70 percent. If it's running hard it could go up to 80 percent and 90 percent you should start lagging/stuttering pretty bad. I've never seen RAM hit 100 without crashing.

Jun 12, 2018
All I know about my PSU is that is a cooler master because I couldn't find any papers on it so I opened up my case and it says that the PSU is a cooler master RS-700-ACAB-B1