crashing, freezing, BSOD. Event ID nvlddmkm 14 (Maybe?). Happens at any time. gtx 1070 i5 4690k.

royalarcher

Commendable
Nov 24, 2017
i have been having problems with my pc.i have had it crashing on startup with no reason and then work fine several goes later. i have had it randomly start at different resolutions. i have had it freeze after booting successfully. i have had it freeze when starting games that i can easily run but then work fine the next try. on event viewer it shows Kernel Power but i think that is just me turning off the computer when it is frozen or just crashing on startup and not actually the problem. i think the error is Event ID nvlddmkm 14 but i am not sure. it says:

The description for Event ID 14 from source nvlddmkm cannot be found. Either the component that raises this event is not installed on your local computer or the installation is corrupted. You can install or repair the component on the local computer.

If the event originated on another computer, the display information had to be saved with the event.

The following information was included with the event:

\Device\00000062
ffffffff(ffffffff) ffffffff ffffffff

The message resource is present but the message was not found in the message table.

(end)
i have not done anything about it as i have only just narrowed down the problem. my gpu and cpu is overclocked if that changes anything but they are both at pretty reasonable temps. i am happy to provide more info if needed.

Solution
Can you follow option one on the following link - here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

try removing overclocks and see if it helps.

nvlddmkm.sys is part of the Nvidia drivers. Try running DDU, remove Nvidia drivers and either run windows update on startup or install Nvidia drivers from their web site. http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/perform-clean-install-video-card-drivers.html

Does motherboard have...

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you follow option one on the following link - here
and then do this step below: Small memory dumps - Have Windows Create a Small Memory Dump (Minidump) on BSOD

that creates a file in c windows/minidump after the next BSOD
copy that file to documents
upload the copy from documents to a cloud server and share the link here and someone with right software to read them will help you fix it :)

try removing overclocks and see if it helps.

nvlddmkm.sys is part of the Nvidia drivers. Try running DDU, remove Nvidia drivers and either run windows update on startup or install Nvidia drivers from their web site. http://www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-2767677/perform-clean-install-video-card-drivers.html

Does motherboard have onboard graphics? try removing gtx 1070, use the onboard and see if you still get errors.

Solution