How I resolved an Error 43 issue on my graphics card

hari-d

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
So, I had a computer where any graphics card i installed would fail with error 43 on the graphics card.
It did this with every graphics card I put in, didn't matter if it was AMD or Nvidia, New or Old.

I couldn't figure out for the life of me why or how i can resolve this. It only had issues in windows, on boot up it seemed completely fine with both screens turning on but the driver doesn't last more than a second or two on this machine.

So my set up is a bit weird. Since the graphics card can run on Microsoft Basic Video Driver, I just ran 1 monitor through the graphics card, 1 through the intel built in graphics, and 1 through a usb to vga adapter.

But when the Graphics card driver crashed, it crashed the other video drivers. So they needed to be restarted to get my displays back.

After some research I found a developement tool from Microsoft called devcon.exe. So I dropped a copy of it to my system32 folder and created a .bat script to restart my other two graphics drivers for me so the monitors would automatically start up for me. I created the script and then added it to group policy to the Startup Scripts policy.

Miraculously on startup the Graphics driver loads without an issue and doesn't crash anymore.

This is weird cause I had tried disabling other graphics devices and restarting with no avail. as well as unplugging and disabling the intel gpu in bios with again no luck.

But it works so can't complain. Weird fix but atleast it works.

Thought i should post this somewhere so it can help someone.

Install Devcon:
https://superuser.com/questions/100...ce=google_rich_qa&utm_campaign=google_rich_qa
Devcon Guide:
https://ccm.net/faq/1886-enable-disable-a-device-from-the-command-line

Open notepad and type in the commands to disable and enable the devices you want. I found finding the device instance path was easier in device manager. Under details the property Device Instance Path. I used commands like "devcon disable *DEV_1912*" as i found the DEV part of the instance path was unique to the device, but it is ideal to double check this with devcon find * and copy and pasting to notepad and using the find function.

Can't find a guide for Local Group policy set up so i'll just type what to do.

Start>search Edit Group Policy>Computer Configuration>Windows Settings>Scripts>Startup
In that policy point to the .bat you created and that should be everything.

For this to work, you have to have another graphics device and something plugged into it preferably. (haven't tested it without something plugged into it but feel free to let me know how it goes)
This guide is a bit half a*sed but i'm hoping the people who read this are IT literate. If not feel free to reply to this thread and i'll happily reply with assistance. or a proper guide if needed.

My script:
devcon disable *DEV_1912*
devcon disable *VID_0711*
ping 127.0.0.1 -n 5 > nul
devcon enable *DEV_1912*
devcon enable *VID_0711*

device instances may vary. I will be removing the USB to VGA adapter when i get a longer cable aswell.
The ping is to create a delay before the next command is ran.

Sorry for the long post. Hope this will help others.

After this "fix" you did, does the video card work on the normal video card drivers or does it still run on the basic VGA drivers? Usually the 43 error is caused by a power issue (such as something with the power supply) or a hardware issue on the card. It can at times be a driver issue, but the error comes up when there is a hardware issue at least as often if not more.

hari-d

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
I did run DDU multiple times. The powersupply is a 450W corsair PSU. PC is a HP ProDesk 400 G3 (was running measly 200 and something watt psu).
I have tried the cards nvidia geforce 210, nvidia geforce gt 710, AMD 5450, and an AMD 7750.
Its Windows 10 and issue has occured over multiple builds.
Someone mentioned something about GPU signature however this is a fix for AMD GPU's and doesn't explain why the Nvidia GPU's wouldn't work.
I am currently running an AMD HD5450 at the moment.
No other PCIE slots available. single slot only motherboard.
I believe i have ran DISM /online though with no luck aswell

Also, this is a work PC so downtime needs to be kept at a minimum. I've tried many drivers ranging from old to new with the same results.

I have also ran a stress test while this "fix" is in affect and the card works well and as it should, checked the temps and they're all within expected range (current card is passively cooled).

hari-d

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
Yes i made sure the bios was up to date. and i've already been through the support document. The HP assistant was no help.

Then most likely something with the motherboard or power supply is defective.

You can try replacing the CMOS battery.

Do you use DVI or VGA cable to the monitor? Theres were some reports that DVI can be responsible for such symptoms as well. Maybe test with another monitor with VGA

hari-d

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2009
I'm not sure how replacing the cmos battery would help, as i've reset the bios and the system retains its settings when unplugged as well as there being no low battery warning on post which this system does.

The error appears with no monitors connected, a dvi monitor connected and a vga monitor connected. with no difference. both VGA and DVI work on the card when the drivers work through this "fix".

Current setup, i have a vga monitor connected to the onboard intel graphics, a vga monitor to the add in card and a DVI monitor to the add in card to.

I have tried disabling on board graphics in bios to see if that helped (you know pcie lanes may be causing it) with no closer to resolving the error 43.