gaming wise.how many cores do most games use??

dj3642a

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2015
I just saw there is an intel CPU that is out that will have 10 cores.. seems a bit extreme to me. My question is this. For MOST games. How many cores are typically used?? I don’t use photo or video software. But I want a good CPU for gaming. I am partial to Intel./ I currently have an I7-2600.. just wanting to build a new PC.. and don’t think I need all these 6 cores or more. Just looking for some help. Thanks much

shmoochie

Commendable
May 10, 2018
In most games right now, 8 cores will only give a 5-10 fps jump over 6 cores, but it is way more future-proof. I think the Intel 6 core is the best for the money right now for gaming, but the 8 is worth it if you have the money.

in 'most games' now, 8 cores gives ZERO gain over 6....save for one or two games at most....(AOTS, etc)

(The sole exception might be if anticipating streaming while gaming, then the extra 2 cores might indeed help, but, the game engine itself is more than fine with 6c)

About 50 games tested with 32 reviewers over the last year comparing R5-1600X with 1700X confirm this.