FPS Gradually Drops When Gaming

Shlutka

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014
For the past few weeks, my friend has been complaining about his FPS gradually dropping when playing Overwatch. I told him I would take a look at it, and that it is most likely a heat issue.

I first decided to test his temps under load; I ran prime95 Small FFT's and FurMark with maxed out settings simultaneously. After about an hour, his CPU temp reached a maximum of 57 degrees celsius, and his GPU temp reached a maximum of 72 degrees celsius.

(Temps were read using HWMonitor)

I could have ran the tests longer, but it is quite obvious by my results that heat is not an issue.

Next, I ran the Windows Memory Diagnostic tool, which returned no errors.

I know that the issue is not software related, as I did a fresh install of Windows about a week prior due to an issue with a constant Windows Repair boot loop.

Very confused as to what this issue could be. After doing some googling, the only plausible reason I could find was a driver conflict, but I don't see how that's possible assuming windows was just installed.

His PC specs are:

CPU: FX-8320
GPU: MSI RX 480
MOBO: Some popular AM3+ ASUS board. Windows did not list the board model #
CPU Cooler: Hyper 212 EVO
Storage: 1 x 500gb SSD
PSU: Rosewill Photon 750W 80+ Gold
RAM: 2 x 4gb G.Skill Ripjaws X 1600mhz DDR3

Any help would be much appreciated, thanks!

Solution
Overwatch isnt easy on the cpu, especially when you are aiming for high framerates.

The framedrops are most likely caused by a cpu bottleneck. He could try to limit fps to 60 (if not already done), or trying to oc his cpu a bit.
You can confirm the bottleneck using msi afterburner. Look at the cpu (for every core) and gpu usage graphs after a couple of minutes gameplay. Test either on live server or on a custom game with bots.

Serinox

Reputable
Jun 23, 2017
Overwatch isnt easy on the cpu, especially when you are aiming for high framerates.

The framedrops are most likely caused by a cpu bottleneck. He could try to limit fps to 60 (if not already done), or trying to oc his cpu a bit.
You can confirm the bottleneck using msi afterburner. Look at the cpu (for every core) and gpu usage graphs after a couple of minutes gameplay. Test either on live server or on a custom game with bots.

Solution

Shlutka

Reputable
Aug 1, 2014

I can't see how a CPU bottleneck would lead to gradual frame drops, but I will try it anyways.