G-sync or No-Sync

masterfalcon3000

Reputable
Sep 5, 2017
I want to buy a new monitor 144hz so i don't know should i get it 1080p or 1440p with g-sync or not at all

I play competitive games [ csgo - Rainbow six - Battlefield series - Cod series ]

so i need high fps + Low input lag

the question is : if i have 144hz monitor and my fps is more than 144hz will the g-sync increase or decrease the input lag
i mean when i play competitive should i enable or disable the G-sync and all the Sync stuff so i can get low input lag .. am i right ?

could someone explain the point of input lag when G-sync is on and off and what is better for competitive ?

My Specs :

i7 7700k Not overclocked
Gtx 1070

the point is i don't want to waste my money ... if g sync won't help me in my case so i can save money and upgrade my pc parts for future

g-sync doesn't really help with input lag.

all it does is sync your screens refreshrate to your cards (and vice versa)

so if your card would in theory produce 500fps, it limits the output to 144 so you don't get tearing
if your card can't produce 144 fps, it reduces your screen's refreshrate to whatever your GPU Is capable to output, so you get less stutter as you don't get the same frame shown two or three times

as I understand it, there's naturally a little bit of input lag but well below the threshold of you noticing or really having an impact

overall, in csgo you would play without, battlefield and cod aren't really that competetive and dont have the tickrate for it to really matter. due to the higher system load, I'd go with G-Sync in these titles if available.

looking at your system specs, a 1070 might not be strong enough to deliver the desired framerates at 1440p, however if you're playing competetively you probably haven't turned graphical settings to max anyway and the 1070 would suffice.
on high settings, your setup is perfect for a 1080p/144Hz screen.

on another notice, G-Sync is usually of extensive extra cost. question is, if that's really worth it to you. If you're sensitive to tearing you might wanna go for it. If you had to google what tearing is, it's probably a waste of money. If you decide to get one, I wouldn't go for a 1080p because of the high cost of gsync screens. you're probably gonna stick with it for a long time and 1080p is pretty much obsolete by now.

masterfalcon3000

Reputable
Sep 5, 2017

So if you were me what would you pick ? a 1080p 144hz OR 1440p 144hz with g-sync
if i bought one of these i will not be able to upgrade until like 5 years

Thanks for ur reply

1080p is not obsolete. Going by Steam's latest hardware survey, well over 90% of systems running Steam have a primary display resolution of 1080p or below. Only around 5% have a resolution of 1440p or higher, so those higher resolutions are still a rather niche product. And for competitive play, higher frame rates might be preferable to more resolution, and you'll get better performance at a more moderate resolution like 1080p. At 1440p, a 1070 will likely be able to maintain 144+fps in a less demanding game like CS:GO, but with something more demanding like the recent Battlefield games, that probably won't be possible on that hardware. Of course, it's possible that several years from now, you might have a graphics card that can push 144fps at 1440p, so it's possible that might be preferred in the long term, even if you struggle to break 100fps in many games at that resolution today.

Actually, G-sync only does anything if your frame rate is below your screen's refresh rate. What you're describing is v-sync, which has been around for decades, and doesn't require a special monitor. V-sync is similar in that it prevents tearing, but with v-sync your frame rate is capped to your refresh rate, and if you drop below that level, you tend to get micro-stuttering and a significant drop in frame rate. It also introduces a bit of delay before a frame is drawn to the screen.

With G-sync, on the other hand, the video card tells the monitor when to refresh the screen, so the screen's refresh rate itself varies to match the game's frame rate, but only up to the screen's maximum refresh rate. Above that level, either v-sync or no sync will take over, depending on your settings, so you would either get additional input lag, or tearing at those frame rates. Within the refresh range, G-sync also eliminates tearing, but with very little delay added compared to v-sync.

Here's a video that explains the various sync methods fairly well. It provides performance results too, but the author didn't test G-sync...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L07t_mY2LEU

And here was a follow up video they did to better explain and test G-sync...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F8bFWk61KWA