Gtx 1060 with freesync?

Apr 16, 2018
Ok so I know this question has been answered before (I think) but I just need a straight, solid 2018 answer.

I'm going to buy a gtx 1060 and would like a nice monitor and was planning on going with an asus g sync monitor.

But, I recently watched a video where a person used a 1060 with a freesync monitor and it worked fine.

I then went here on the forums to see if this is true that the 1060 will work on freesync monitors.

I can't really seem to find a straight answer and I would like one up to date.

I feel like I almost need an adaptive sync time monitor for games that would get a high fps but not high enough for v sync.

Also for v sync, I know it cuts itself in half but for how long? Just been wondering

So if someone could give me a straight answer that would be highly appreciated and if it does work, maybe point me in the direction of some good monitors... thanks.

Solution
Nvidia cards have a feature called adaptive vsync built into the drivers/settings software.

This means that below the native refresh rate vsync is disabled.You don't get the hassle of the drops that used to occur when dropping below native refresh to the next available screen refresh rate.

Many competitive online gamers will swear it reduces response times & introduces lag but personally it's not something I've ever noticed.

The outcome ?? You'll be fine with a non g-sync screen (be it freesync or not).

With a freesync screen you can't actually use the freesync feature at all, it is an amd only feature.
The screen itself will work fine though with an nvidia card.

If you're looking at a 1060 it's ainly a budget based decision , for...
Nvidia cards have a feature called adaptive vsync built into the drivers/settings software.

This means that below the native refresh rate vsync is disabled.You don't get the hassle of the drops that used to occur when dropping below native refresh to the next available screen refresh rate.

Many competitive online gamers will swear it reduces response times & introduces lag but personally it's not something I've ever noticed.

The outcome ?? You'll be fine with a non g-sync screen (be it freesync or not).

With a freesync screen you can't actually use the freesync feature at all, it is an amd only feature.
The screen itself will work fine though with an nvidia card.

If you're looking at a 1060 it's ainly a budget based decision , for that reason I'd say a g-sync screen would be a non practical decision , it's still a stupidly expensive feature cost wise.

Monitors themselves ??
Too much choice , you would have to set a budget & your location.
With a 1060 I'd probably be looking at a 75htz 1080p screen ,.

Solution

CaptainCretin

Respectable
Jul 18, 2016
AMD cards have a similar Vsync feature.

If your budget is tight, look at an AMD card, AMD made FreeSync an open resource; monitor makers dont have to pay them anything to use the idea; NVidia have locked down their version and make people pay to implement it. This means if you have otherwise identical monitors - one GSync and 1 FreeSync, the GSync version is £50-£250 more expensive.

You can see this most obviously in the Acer Predator range, where the Freesync versions are all much cheaper than the Gsync versions; with the only other difference usually being the colours of the plastics.