AMD Trolls Intel: Offers 16-Core Chip to Winners of Six-Core 8086K

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

So they will give you a chip that costs almost twice as much. Wouldn't everyone take that deal? I'd take it, sell the Threadripper, and then buy the Intel chip at retail. Or maybe take the savings and get one of those pre binned lid removed conductonaught applied ones!

caustin582

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
Not sure what there is for them to be so smug about here. The 1950X costs twice as much and has slightly lower gaming benchmarks on average. So what exactly is the message they're trying to convey? That they're willing to throw more money at PR stunts than Intel?

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

Most people only buy Intel because "AMD is bad/hot/slow" (heard it 5 minutes ago). At least 40 people will have the chance to see how powerful an AMD system can be. Also, note the bolded remark: slightly lower gaming, way more powerful at everything else, that's the message.

Giroro

Splendid
Threadripper isn't way more powerful at "everything else", just workstation tasks that most people never use.
That slight disadvantage in gaming also extends to most other typical desktop apps like web browsing, microsoft office, photoshop, etc.
Honestly if I were to win the 8086 contest, I probably wouldn't even want to exchange it since it's a limited edition collector's item that will sell out and end up worth more than the $750 (and dropping, since its a first-gen chip) Threadripper.

caustin582

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009

It is absolutely not "way more powerful at everything else." Only applications that can take advantage of all of those cores. You can look at the 1950X review right here on Tom's and see how it gets completely beaten by the 7700K in about half of the workstation, productivity, and compute benchmarks.

And as long as we're making generalizations about "most people" based on our own anecdotal evidence, I'll go ahead and say that most people buy high end CPUs for gaming anyway.

Intel sat on its knuckles to pretend they have a ballsack and released marginal performance gains, multi cpu platforms that cost way the hell more than most of us could afford to pay. I'm popping popcorn as we speak to watch this unfold.

Soaptrail

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2015
This is not childish behaivor, Intel trolling AMD with a supposed 28 core processor that is vaporware is trolling, this is funny and awesome for anyone who is eligible to take advantage of this offer. Intel deserves this for their 28 core vaporware stunt!

salgado18

Distinguished
Feb 12, 2007

It gets beaten by the 7700k on half the tests, so if you use those programs, keep your 8086k.

But it is a small monster on the other half. For those who need this performance but could only afford 4-6 core cpus, that's an awesome deal.

The thing is, there are still a lot of people who buy Intel because it is supposedly better, even though AMD has chips as competent as the blue team. That's the PR stunt: hey, we're here, and we make 16 core cpus ;). And well, that's 40 people out of 4000(?) on the US, it's not hard to imagine that 40 of those will be content creators.

SoFlaWill

Commendable
May 31, 2016
Let's see. 1. Win the Intel CPU. 2. Win the contest to swap for the Threadripper. 3. Sell the Threadripper. 4. Use proceeds to buy 2700X, new B450 mb, 16 gigs ram. What a plan!!

InvalidError

Titan

AMD will be on the "marginal performance gain" soon enough. The huge performance leap from the Buildozer family to Zen is a one-time thing that highlights how severely lacking AMD's previous architectures and won't be duplicated with Zen 2. I wouldn't expect Zen 2 to perform much over 10% better clock-for-clock than Zen 1. Where Zen 2 will get most of its extra performance is a 10-15% clock frequency, lower latency fabric and 50-100% more cores thanks to the 7nm shrink.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Intel just massively trolled AMD and the world with their "28-Core 5ghz" chip that was nothing but a sideshow stunt specifically to steal AMD's thunder. Oh and look back at the history of the x86 processor over the years and the massive amounts of anti-competitive garbage Intel has pulled to try and get rid of AMD after they outlived their usefulness.

Status
Not open for further replies.