Problems installing Sound Blaster X-Fi drivers on Windows 10

Sailor R Thomas

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2016
Greetings,

I have a PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series card already installed from several years back when my OS was Windows 7 64-bit and everything worked well.

However, on my Windows 10 OS when I try to install the "Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Series Software Pack for Windows 10" and launch the Creative Audio Control Panel application an error message box appeared and reads: "The audio device supported by this application is not detected. The application will exit." Other apps such as Sound Blaster's 'Console Launcher' will mot run either

Oddly, I also could not find any Creative Labs entries in Window's 'Device Manager' as well. Under the heading 'Sound, video, and game controllers' I see: 1) High Definition Audio Device, 2) High Definition Audio Device, 3) NVIDIA High Definition Audio Device, 4) NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WMD).

Can someone please advise me on how to install the X-Fi Titanium drivers and apps on my Windows 10 64-bit system?

I have thought about disabling my integrated sound on my Maximus Hero VII motherboard to see if my Sound Blaster X-Fi would then become my default card but I'm not sure if that would be a good idea and if it would even work or not.

Thank you very much for your time and assistance.

==============
Computer Specs:
Mother Board: Asus MAXIMUS VII HERO
CPU & Speed: Intel Core i7-4790K Devil's Canyon Processor 4.0GHz 5.0GT/s 8MB LGA 1150
System Memory: G.SKILL TridentX Series DDR3 SDRAM 16GB
Power Supply: EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 P2 220-P2-1000-XR 1000W 80 PLUS Platinum
Video Cards: ASUS ROG GeForce GTX 1070 STRIX-GTX1070-O8G-GAMING
Sound Card: Creative Labs X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series
CPU Cooler: Corsair Cooling Hydro Series H100I GTX CPU Cooler System
Hard Drives: SAMSUNG 850 EVO MZ-75E1T0B/AM 1TB

Colif

Win 11 Master
Tried updating windows to version 1803? it might be the version of windows you are on. https://forums.guru3d.com/threads/creative-x-fi-soundcards-and-windows-10-fall-creators-update-1709-complete-disaster-not-working.417907/

in device manager, change the view to show hidden devices, any unknown devices showing?

what version is the driver? when released?

Sailor R Thomas

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2016

DEVICE_MANAGER_2018-06-19_133246.png

1) AVerMedia H837 USB Hybrid ATSC/QAM
Driver Date: 12/18/2013, Driver Version: 10.2.64.103
Device Status says: "This device is working properly."

2) DFX Audio Enhancer
Driver Date: 8/30/2015, Driver Version: 12.0.0.0

3) High Definition Audio Device
Driver Date: 2/21/2018, Driver Version: 10.0.16299.251

4) High Definition Audio Device
Driver Date: 2/21/2018, Driver Version: 10.0.16299.251

5) Microsoft Streaming Clock Proxy
Driver Date: 6/21/2006, Driver Version: 10.0.16299.15
Device Status says: "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)
To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer."

6) Microsoft Streaming Quality Manager Proxy
Device Status says: "Currently, this hardware device is not connected to the computer. (Code 45)
To fix this problem, reconnect this hardware device to the computer"

7) Microsoft Streaming Service Proxy

8) Microsoft Streaming Tee/Sink-to-Sink Converter

9) Microsoft Streaming Tee/Sink-to-Sink Converter

10) Microsoft Trusted Audio Driver
Driver Date: 9/28/2017, Driver Version: 10.0.16299.15

11) NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Driver Date: 4/3/2018, Driver Version: 1.3.37.4

12) NVIDIA Virtual Audio Device (Wave Extensible) (WMD)
Driver Date: 2/20/2018, Driver Version: 4.6.0.0

13) VXI X100 V1.0

14) VXI X100 V1.0
Driver Date: , Driver Version:

Hi Colif. Yes, I've tried to update to Windows version 1803, but the process failed a couple of times so I put that task on the back burner for now. Anyway, the AVerMedia H837 USB Hybrid ATSC/QAM, DFX Audio Enhancer, and the VXI X100 V1.0 are fine and never had any problems working with Sound Blaster before. They belongs to my TV Tuner, audio volume increaser, and microphone headset.

Thanks for the link, I'm reading it now!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Perhaps think about a Fresh install rather than update. When was last time you did one? link says that build 17074 had working drivers, at the time of its writing that was an Insiders preview version but as Windows 10 1803 is build 17134 it includes the fix now.

unknown devices would have shown at the bottom of list, not in the sound section.

High Definition Audio Device could be the onboard realtek sound (on motherboard) but its impossible to tell as driver version is really just the windows version and matches all the others below it. So only drivers except for the top 2 and bottom one are Microsoft drivers.

Sailor R Thomas

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2016
New_OS_Install_2018-06-24_033456.png

Back to lt you know that I've been trying several solutions this past couple of days -- including those offered by Creative Labs Tech Support as well as yours too several minutes ago. Haven't installed my audio drivers on the new Windows OS, yet.

I'm tired as heck right now and ready to go to sleep...

Anyway, I'll come back later and let you know all the remedies I've tried so far. I felt the need to do a quick reply to let know that I have not abandoned this thread and to also let you know that I appreciate your help...thanks!

Colif

Win 11 Master
I wonder why windows version 1803 is still using drivers from version 1709 as that is what the version number below refers to (this is just an example)
13) VXI X100 V1.0

that is also why I thought you were on an older version. 10.0.16299.15 was the release to manufacturer build of 1709.

if build 17134 has a driver that fixes this, why is win 10 still using older drivers? I could guess the only drivers above that have received new drivers in last 6 months were the HD Audio drivers that got it on 16299.251. They don't announce what drivers they are updating though so that is no help. This means the fix it 17074 never made it live?

Sailor R Thomas

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2016
Creative Labs Tech Support wants me to follow these steps:

1. Please download its software pack on the website below.

Windows® 10 - Software Availability Chart
http://support.creative.com/kb/ShowArticle.aspx?sid=126331&h=13a

Click Download now for Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion and choose the following:

Driver
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Series Software Pack for Windows 10
Filesize : 52.54 MB Download
Release date : 29 Jan 16
File Name : XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0015.exe

2. If the sound card is still not detected, please try to remove the sound card from your computer and then connect it again. After this, please try to install the software pack again.

3. Temporarily disable the onboard audio either through the system’s bios settings or the Windows device manager.

4. Please check if there is any security/antivirus software that might be blocking the access to Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series.

I did everything EXCEPT step 2, which was to remove the sound card and reconnect it again. However, due to a physical disability I am unable to do that so it looks like I'll need to hire a tech person help me with that task. Other than that, I just have to wait. I also downloaded and installed ASUS's Realtek audio drivers just to try them out.

BTW, when I attempt to install the Creative Labs driver without using Selective startup I keep experiencing a BSOD with this error message:
"Stop code: SYSTEM_THREAD_EXCEPTION_NOT_HANDLED
what failed: ha20x22k.sys"

Does this error have any great significance?

Colif

Win 11 Master
that last file name - ha20x22k.sys - is part of the Sound Blaster drivers so I would tell Creative it crashed, that might help them help you.

If it gets to the stage you having to take it to someone else to remove card, I would tell the tech the full story as he might be able to get to bottom of this. Paying him to remove card and not make sure it works after, is a waste of money.

Jul 6, 2018

Jul 6, 2018
you have to install Creative X-Fi Full Installation CD software with its built in drivers. then update your sound driver of Creative Sb X-Fi from device manager. i hope it will solve your problem. If you want i will send you the original software backup

Sailor R Thomas

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2016
UPDATE:

I did the following and had some success:

First off, I reverted back to Win 10 version 1709 because that's where I last had Sound Blaster installed and working properly. However, this is not to say that version 1803 would not have worked. I just felt more confident with 1709 since I've been there before and things were ok.

Step 1. Remove ALL Sound Blaster drivers/components/folders, and all other program remnants;
Step 2. Disable the On-board ASUS SupremeFX Sound Card;
Step 3. In 'Normal Mode', install Creative Lab's XFTI_PCDRV_L11_2_40_0015.exe file. Afterwards, reboot and the "Creative SB X-Fi" entry will appear in both the Device Manager and the Sound section in playback devices;
Step 4. Proceed to install the rest of the components/drivers using Daniel_K's 'SB X-FI Series Support Pack 4.0': I installed/added them ONE-BY-ONE via the custom installation, and this method required multiple restarts!

2018-07-25_083903.png

2018-07-25_8-54-54.png

After the Sound Blaster card was reseated, there were no more BSODs. Also, it wasn't just enough to remove all of the files, folders, and registry items associated with SB, but it was also very necessary to go into the Startup manager and manually delete the "CTXfiHlp MFC Application" and "CTXFIREG.exe" entries.

Sailor R Thomas

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2016

Thanks for the offer. I just might need it because I'm not getting any sound yet. Lol

Sailor R Thomas

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2016

Instead of hiring a tech person I had my cousin to remove the card for me. I sure wish he has the skills and knowledge to diagnose and fix this problem, but unfortunately he doesn't.

Aug 20, 2018
Not sure if this is too late, but I have the Creative SB X-Fi driver on my Win10 1803 machine running the 6.0.240.15 2015 Creative Driver.

I have this installed in a Dell XPS 730x from factory with the OEM CD.

Given this disc/machine was made for XP and Vista, it might give you a re-starting point? (If the above member didn't provide the CD already?)

LMK and good luck

Sailor R Thomas

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2016

Hi 200mv,

The above member never provided me with a CD.

Sailor R Thomas

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2016

Greetings 200mv,

I downloaded the ISO file and will burn it to CD tomorrow. I'll probably have to call my cousin over again to reseat the SB card (I have since reinstalled the OS). I've also been having recent problems with other hardware and have to resolve those issues too. This will take some time to do because I am unable to do it myself and have to rely on and pay a tech person to do it for me and may also need to purchase new components as well.

Anyway, thanks for everything and I am very grateful for your time and effort my friend. :)