Re-installed W10, constant BSOD cycle and wont boot after Windows Update

Ad Murray

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
Hey guys,

At my absolute wits end with my PC now, spent thousands trying to make it right. Just when I thought it was all running good I started getting Blue Screen of Death (BSOD) errors gradually (different ones every time). So I re-installed Windows 10, set the updates going, once they were finished it did a restart and got to the login screen, as soon as I typed in my password and pressed enter, it froze for about 3 seconds and gave BSOD error of 'Critical_process_died', sometimes 'Memory_management'. After another restart it now gets stuck in a BSOD cycle and can't boot safe mode because I get the same two errors. Nearly all my parts are brand new, RAM and motherboard are less than a week old.

Specs as follows:
CPU: Intel i7-7700k 4.2 GHz
CPU FAN: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming X 8GB
RAM: 16GB DDR4 2400MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX
MOBO: MSI Z270 PC Mate
SSD: 256GB Kingston
HDD: 1TB WD
PSU: Corsair CX600M
CASE: Phanteks Eclipse P400S Tempered Glass

Before I started getting BSOD I did notice in HWmonitor that my CPU was running at 4.5 GHz not 4.2 and I haven't OC'd it. Temps were perfect on everything. I was running the PC fine but it just started having graphical issues while gaming and BSOD so I decided to re-install W10, now I cant even boot.

Will be testing my RAM in another PC later this week so see if that has failed. Also going to try re-seating CPU. Cant run sfc /scannow in the troubleshoot section of boot up because it just says it failed to run operation or something, and obviously cant run WhoCrashed etc. Could it be the SSD failing or failed? Maybe dodgy SATA cable?

Any ideas guys? I've been through so many parts trying to fix this thing :( luckily I now have a spare PC because I replaced that many parts (nearly a 3rd PC).

I will keep updating anything I do in case it helps others.

Many thanks,
Adam

Ad Murray

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014

Mobo is brand new, will it not already be factory default? Shouldn't it work with all my parts regardless?

I did take out the GPU and try running straight from onboard graphics but still same issues :/

Ad Murray

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014

Oh man, I had those exact BSOD before... Looks like you may be right... I'm gonna try putting in my Old i5-6600k and see if that solves it. Will update when I get chance to do it! Should be later this week. Can I still return my i7 to amazon if I bought it on the 1st of May?

Thank you so much guys for the help so far :)

It's beyond Amazon's 30 day return policy period. You'll have to deal directly with Intel Customer Support.

https://supporttickets.intel.com/warrantyinfo?lang=en-US

Ad Murray

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014

Ah nice one! Thank you for link, fingers crossed I wont need it, but will be nice to know I have found the problem if it is haha 2 more night shifts to get out of the way and I will update this thread.

Ad Murray

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
Okay so swapped out the i7 7700k for the i5 6600k same issue, just gets to login screen and BSOD when I hit enter on the password. Still need to test RAM, but what doesn't make sense is why the PC works fine if I re-install windows but as soon as the updates are downloaded and installed it just gets BSOD at login screen password after a restart.

UPDATE: Have also noticed now I barely get it to POST, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Definitely sound like more of a RAM issue to me. But its barely a week old the RAM, and the mobo is brand new as well, not sure why it would be faulty.

Ad Murray

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
Okay so another update even though I don't seem to be getting any help anymore, but it seems its the graphics card that is causing the issue no idea why, but after removing it from the PC it's extremely hot. I just dont understand why it got a BSOD in the first place when it was running fine for so long and temps were fine. After the re-install it kept getting worse and worse but I couldn't check the temps as I couldn't stay on long enough before a BSOD.

Going to run it on on-board graphics for awhile and see if I still get the errors. Hopefully this helps someone else.

UPDATE: Still getting BSOD but not as often and I can always log in now but windows updates will download and not install. Windows update troubleshooter wont run either. Going to try a new SATA cable but I dont think it would boot if the SATA cable was faulty.

Ad Murray

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014

No worries man! And yeah in my last update, I have removed the graphics card which has helped me now get past the log in screen, but I cant install any windows updates, only download them, troubleshooter doesn't do anything either. I also still get BSOD but just not on the log in screen, one of these BSOD's was a graphics error, maybe worth disabling on-board graphics and putting GPU back in?

Still haven't tested RAM but I cant see that being the issue if the PC is running better now? So lost on narrowing it down haha, could actually be a failing mobo!

Ad Murray

Reputable
Aug 25, 2014
Okay so... its been awhile... I ended up using my back up PC for around 2 months and finally decided to take my main PC to the shop... turns out it was a faulty stick of RAM. Weird thing is, the RAM worked in my PC but was very temperamental hence the BSOD's but one stick 100% failed in another PC. So now I'm returning both sticks to corsair through RMA, thank you for the help at the time though guys!