Custom-Binned 5.3GHz Intel Core i7-8086K Goes On Sale For $860

Status
Not open for further replies.

AlistairAB

Distinguished
May 21, 2014
Another suspicious posting. Paid content? Silicon lottery uses an AVX offset of 200 mhz (not mentioned in this article or at other sites with the same news piece).

You're paying all that money for 5.1ghz, since AVX will be used in almost all cases. Not 5.3ghz in any real sense.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador
People buying these must be desperate for more speed now, because Intel will eventually get their 10 nm process of the ground (and AMD is already well on their way to shipping "7 nm" chips), at which point these probably won't seem quite so fast.

Remember, it's no longer collectible once you install it (not to mention overclocking...).

USAFRet

Titan

There's always been a market for those people (more money than brain) who have to have the new shiny right now. Just because it exists.

TheOtherOne

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2013
It's none of MY business what someone else does with their money. If one can afford and want to buy this, who the heck am I to question that?

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

No. When something seems surprising like that, it's a clue that maybe you should go back and re-read it.

Silicon Lottery, a company dedicated to selling pre-overclocked processors, announced yesterday the availability of the Intel Core i7-8086K processors on its website. Unlike Intel, Silicon Lottery’s processors run at the advertised speed across all cores. The Texas-based company currently offers four models to the enthusiast crowd.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

And who's saying you should? They're just reporting that it's available.

Maybe some readers of the article went on to buy one of these, while others indulged in moral outrage. Both are valid reactions.

Zaporro

Honorable
Jan 23, 2014

Finally a post that makes sense. Of course downvoted by i don't know who.

Maybe AVX offset was thing few years ago but currently more and more application and even games will use AXV instruction for higher performance.

Setting negative AVX offset is nothing more like cheating "Hey i got 5.3GHz stable OC, lets ignore how 50% of time its actually an 5.1GHz....".

People who say "i set avx offset for lower temps" practically say "i want to get to 5.3 but my cooling is to weak so ill do 5.1 and make it look like 5.3 for bigger epeen".

The whole AVX offset thing is like buying 4x4 car and then using it exclusively in city because owner is afraid to get it dirty and wear off its suspension/transmission.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

Not me, but whats the stock AVX2-offset on these CPUs?

Not really. First, it has to be dense AVX2 code - not just a few instructions thrown in here and there.

Second, it's not used in most OS code, most Javascript, or software development tools. The most compute intensive thing I do on my boxes is compiling software, where AVX-family instructions are virtually useless.

YoAndy

Reputable
Jan 27, 2017

I totally agree with you, If they want to be the fastest kid on the block and they have the money to do it, why not? ... I don't understand why people are so negative about others people's lives, or what they do with their own money, is none of your da"n business. ;),. If they want the best Gaming CPU or the fastest ever processor and they have money to buy it, sobeit. People with tight budgets are like vegans, they want to see everyone else eating their crap..:lol:

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
I'm confused. So Silicon Lottery unlocks and resets Intel stock hardcode speeds on the actual cpu itself? Cuz last I knew any OC profiles were the sole department of any bios/cmos on the motherboard and nothing to do with the cpu itself. Which would mean that SL is only binning for certain better chips that'll be stable at 5.3GHz, but there's no guarantee that any old mobo will actually do that.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator

The base 5GHz (turbo) chip is probably going to be around $450 'normally' as SL will charge something for the delid service etc and charge $470.

So, that's already a markup of ~$100 vs an 8700K.
Then, the next 100Mhz is +$30, the next is +$90, the last is +$270

So, on the 8086K alone, per 100MHz could average *only* $130

BUT, compared to an 8700K (which it is) at 4.7GHz for ~$350, there's a $490 markup (including delidding)...
ONLY $81 per 100MHz then!! :lol:

I was thinking the same thing - but haven't looked into it. I wonder if they have any parameters.... ie you must use X board, with Y BIOS revision etc? Or if it's actually modified on the chip itself.

Also curious how they can offer a 1 year warrant w/1x replacement ..... for a chip with a supposed limited production run?

R0GG

Distinguished

I know what you mean, I was just caricaturizing, although taken at face value it appears to the average observer as the most expensive 100 MHz in CPU history!

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

You have a short memory. Do a little digging and you'll find Intel, themselves, charging even bigger markups for similar gains, in some of their Extreme Edition processors. Back then, there weren't many ways to differentiate HEDT CPUs, besides clock speed.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

On the flip side, if someone needs strangers to approve of their CPU purchases, I'd say something is wrong with their priorities.

More succinctly: there are always gonna be haters, and haters gonna hate.

R0GG

Distinguished

That's why I slid in "average observer" (I edited inattentive, by the way), I wouldn't mind a little refresher, thanks.

bit_user

Polypheme
Ambassador

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_4#Gallatin_(Extreme_Edition)

The Northwood P4's with HT also had a 800 MT/s FSB. So, a cool $1k for just an overclocked P4 with some L3 cache.

This is utterly ridiculous but nothing what I would consider to be remotely surprising. Those who absolutely must have the "best" with a special SKU and a box that proclaims "limited edition" will definitely chew this up while shelling out a significant amount of unnecessary coin just because they can. That's great and all, but I just don't see the rationale for it. To each their own, for sure.

Jun 26, 2018
I purchased an 8086k, to replace my 3rd Gen I5. If I only buy a computer once every 6 or 7 years.... yeah, Ill pay a little extra.... That said, no way in hell would I pay this company a dime.
just ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.