Is my monitor (Benq XL2730Z) dying?

Jun 19, 2018
Monitor has been working flawlessly for 2 and a half years.

This morning, it suddenly began 'glitching', with the image heavily distorted (see picture). Turning off and unplugging / re-plugging every cable fixed the issue.

However, now the issue reappears after a short while (2-20mins) whenever I use the monitor. The issue does not affect my other monitor connected to the same PC, and it also appears when the PC is unconnected and I am using the benQ monitor as output for my PS4, so I believe it is an issue with the monitor itself.

The issue begins with a few small flickering horizontal dots at a random part of the screen. Then, the whole screen will begin flickering with massive distorted lines.

Does this mean the monitor is dying, or is there something I can do to fix it?

Jun 19, 2018
I've tried the above. In another attempt I noticed that as I plugged in the power cable there was a buzzing noise and some clicking which did not sound good.

Jun 19, 2018

As an update, I've tried different power / input cables all to the same effect. Interestingly, when the screen distortion happens, if I turn the monitor off and then on again after ~5 seconds, the issue is gone for the next few minutes. Would this match up with the theory that an internal component like the capacitor is the problem?