Dell monitor wont turn on

Jun 19, 2018
I just built my PC and when i plugged my dell monitor in, the screen would stay black and a message would pop up saying "auto detect (analog input) entering power save mode." What can i do to figure out what is wrong/ broken so i can fix it/ buy a replacement. My parts are a gtx 1050, amd ryzen 3, cx550m, and a wd blue 1tb hard drive.

morgancomputers

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018
1st thing to check your screens looking at the right input source feed if it has multiple ports My dell has 2 HDMI, a DP and a VGA!

Also you can is plug the screen into something like a laptop or other PC make sure it gets a video feed, if not try a diff cable see if that's at fault.

If you get a video signal from a diff device then its the video port your using not outputting. Try using a diff cable/port combination of the GTX card, Does your MOBO have onboard vga? That may not auto disable so you could see if you get an output from that?

Last option remove and re-seat the GTX card and re-boot pc. You could test the card in a diff PC or vice versa test a another card on your mobo to see if its the card or mobo at fault.

There are no quick fix's just a process of testing

Jun 19, 2018

How can i test to see if the mobo is at fault when i dont have any spare parts or other pc's to test with?

morgancomputers

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018

What make and model screen are you using, and what cable are you using to connect it to the GFX card?

Jun 19, 2018

instead of using a vga cable i switched it to a dvi cable and my monitor seems to be working, now im getting the message " Reboot and select proper boot device or insert boot media in selected boot device and press a key," what should i do know? Does that mean i need to plug in a flashdrive with windows installed on it?
thanks

morgancomputers

Reputable
Feb 5, 2018
Solution 1: Check for the Power Cable Connecting to the HDD (Hard Disk Drive)
If the power cable is broken or connected incorrectly, the HDD cannot be detected. Then the error would cause. You can test the power cable on another computer. If the error also occurs on that computer, the power cable is broken. Replace it with a new one.

Solution 2: Clean RAM
If the RAM is dusty, the computer may show you this error. Clean the dust on the RAM with a soft cloth and see if the error continues.

Solution 3: Check the Boot Order Settings in BIOS (basic input/output system)
Normally, Windows should boot from hard drive. In the BIOS, if the first boot device is not set as hard drive but an external hard drive like a USB flash drive, the error would occur. So go into BIOS to check and change the boot device to hard drive as first priority if necessary.

The key or key combination you can use to enter BIOS depends on what PC brand you are using. You can go to the PC manufacturer’s website to check for that. If you are not sure how to enter BIOS, refer How to Enter BIOS for further information.

After entering boot menu, follow the on-screen instructions to go to the Boot priority order part. You may see Enter Setup, Startup, Boot Device Configuration and something like that. Just follow the on-screen commands. Then set 1st boot device to HDD.