PC gaming build - a complete newbie

Jun 19, 2018
Hello everyone,

So I've been trying to get into building a gaming PC for myself and I've been completely overwhelmed with the amount of products available. With the help of a couple of co-workers, I've narrowed down the parts list a bit, though it'd be great to get a third eye on things to see if some parts of the setup could be improved.

The parts list I'm thinking about can be found here:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZMrjnH

(Not sure if the part picker link works properly, so in case not, here is the parts list written out as well):

CPU - Intel i5-8400
RAM - DDR4 Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB 2400Mhz 1.2V
PSU - Corsair TX650M 650W, 80 Plus Gold (Semi modular, 120mm)
HDD - WD Black 3.5" 1TB Sata3 7200 RPM 64MB
Motherboard - ASRock Z370 PRO4
Case - Corsair Carbide 100R Mid-tower
SSD - Samsung 860 EVO 250GB SATA
GPU - Zotac Geforce GTX 1080 AMP, 8GB GDDR5X (256-bit)

I didn't include the CPU cooler, because the CPU comes with one from the store I'd buy from (stock one I think, nothing fancy).

I've also read that it might be good to adjust the motherboard to perhaps the Gigabyte Z370 AORUS Gaming K3, what do you think?

Are there any other things, that you guys would adjust in the setup? I want to be VR-ready to play sim-racing games (assetto corsa, dirt rally, stuff like that, heard those applications are CPU heavy) as well as some other stuff (pubg, fallout, TES, etc.). I'm also not sure if I'd be getting into the whole deal of overclocking CPUs (I might want to, might not, so it's not a priority).

The budget, as shown in the PC part picker is ~1400 USD, though if I'm looking at the prices in my local shop, it would be around 1450 EUR and I would not like to get over that.

The monitor, keyboard and mouse wouldn't be needed at the moment since I do have them.

Any help and insights would be massively appreciated.

Thanks!

You need to clarify, because the PCPartPicker link shows a Ryzen 5 2600X, and 1060 6GB, but the list has i5-8400, and 1080. I assume the list is more accurate due to your target budget being $1400 USD, vs the link spec totaling only $1000.

If so, I would swap the 8400 for 8600k, which is only about $60 more, and swap the Zotac Amp for an EVGA SC, which is $50 less and clocked slightly faster. I just bought that GPU and it is incredible. It never goes over 65c, and the fans don't even kick on until 55c, plus they are ball bearing type, so not just quiet but long lasting. I was playing AC Origins yesterday in 86 degree weather with my windows open because I have no AC, and it was actually staying at around 57c. Plus the fan shroud is aluminum, not flimsy plastic, and it has a nice full length aluminum backplate. Perhaps the best thing is EVGA's customer service is fantastic.

Jun 19, 2018
Thanks for the input.

I'm afraid adding the 8600K (together with the cooler, which isn't included with it) would bring up the cost to 100 EUR in CPU alone and the EVGA SC is another 60 EUR additional in my shop (it's more expensive than the zotac).

I've tried checking some benchmark numbers and the clockable 8600K does seem to do better, but not a whole lot.

Is it something, that would be better to get right away, or is this upgrade more of a "nice to have" and I could get away with the 8400 just fine for the time being (maybe upgrading in a year-2 years time)?

Never do "for-the-time-being" purchases with platform parts. It only adds to the expense and is a hassle swapping them out (save for RAM). I suggested the 8600k because it balances much better with the 1080.

The way I look at it, if you're entertaining ideas of for the time being purchases, you may as well just wait a bit longer to do this until you can afford balanced spec. The 8400 is usually speced on budget builds with a 1060.

The 1080 even works well with a 8700k, which is what I'm using.

Jun 23, 2018
If you want i can test your build in most popular games since i work in a large PC store and we have almost every single part that you can imagine.