Solved

4k question. not sure where to post this question

I feel like this has probably been answered a hundred times already so I apologize for repeating a boring question. I did look around the internet for these answers but....well anyway, here I am.

Also, I wasn't 100% sure what the most appropriate area of the forums is for this question as it kind of covers a few different areas. Anyway, here goes.

Equipment:
pc
gtx 1070 mini
rca rtu6049 4k tv
hdmi connection
Windows 10
All drivers, software, etc fully updated

issue:
Can't tell if i'm ACTUALLY viewing things in 4k

clarification points:
-Windows resolution set to 1080p(navigating windows on a 60" screen in 4k is not practical)
-Nividia control panel says that my connection is hdcp compliant between card and tv
-able to select 4k on youtube videos and view them
-Using the netflix windows 10 app, no movies display that I can view them in uhd. hd only(even after confirming, online, that any given video is available in 4k)

Questions:
-Do I need to set my windows desktop resolution to 4k in order to view online content in 4k? Even though youtube is displaying 4k and allowing me to select 4k, am I ACtUALLY viewing it in 4k with my windows resolution set to 1080p.
-Am I being super stupid and ignoring something else fairly obvious?

Any tips or help would be greatly appreciated and, again, if I'm repeating the same boring old questions here, I apologize.
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about question post question
  1. Best answer
    if windows resolution is not 4k, you are not viewing 4k
  2. rgd1101 said:
    if windows resolution is not 4k, you are not viewing 4k

Knew it was a dumb question. lol. Can you tell I just got my tv yesterday? :)
  3. Even though YouTube allows you to select 4K it is most likely being down-scaled to 1080P to match your resolution of your screen.

If you want 4K you will have to set the resolution. One thing you can do to make this easier, and I know Windows 10 does this by default for higher resolutions, is adjust the DPI scaling higher than 100%. I think 4K might need 150% to be more comfortable.
  4. but you can view 4K content, it will be downscaled.
  5. jimmysmitty said:
    Even though YouTube allows you to select 4K it is most likely being down-scaled to 1080P to match your resolution of your screen.

If you want 4K you will have to set the resolution. One thing you can do to make this easier, and I know Windows 10 does this by default for higher resolutions, is adjust the DPI scaling higher than 100%. I think 4K might need 150% to be more comfortable.

Indeed! Thank you.
Ask a new question