Is buying an older released monitor a bad purchase?

Bakbak1

Reputable
Dec 3, 2016
Let's say there is a monitor from 2014 that has the exact same specs as a monitor from 2017. Is the monitor from 2017 a smarter purchase (if the prices are the same) and why?

Or, let's pick the ASUS mg278Q. This monitor cost roughly 550 dollars. The Iiyama G-Master GB2760QSU-B1 for example, cost roughly 460 dollars. The ASUS monitor is from 2015, the iiyama monitor is from 2017. The specs are nearly identical, but the iiyama is from 2017, so It'll provide, for example, better cables (such as a displayPort 1.3 cable instead of the 1.2 cable you'll get from the ASUS monitor). I understand that the brand plays a big role. ASUS is a more known brand thus it'll cost more. But will it still be a better idea just to purchase a monitor because it was more recently released? Considering spending 450+ dollars on a monitor, you want it to last for many more years to come.

I’d be more interested in what actual professional reviews say rather than specs. You’ll get info on how well they handle motion, color accuracy, color gamut, brightness and evenness.

Then I look at user reviews for keywords. Such as “backlight bleed”, “ghosting” and “gaming”. To see what they have to say. Then I look through negative reviews for a common problem, if they’re random or if they’re unrelated to the product.