2560x1080 monitor running through usb type-c adapter showing up max res of 1920x1080??

Spawnling123

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016
I bought this: https://www.newfrog.com/product/type-c-adapter-usb-hub-to-hdmi-adapter-usb-type-c-3.1-to-usb-3.0-hub-female-converter-for-macbook-chromebook-pixel-154583

I have it connected to my Xiaomi Notebook Air 13.3, charging, keyboard, mouse, headphones, and monitor. Everything seems to be working perfectly, except for the fact I cant seem to set the resolution of my monitor to 2560x1080. On the site it says 4k uhd, however it doesn't seem to be able to even get past 2k...

Anyone know either how the site was wrong or if I'm just doing something wrong?

NOTE: I've found plugging it straight into my laptop get me to 2560x1080, must be something wrong with the adapter. maybe something I can do to fix that? if its possible? can you get usb 3.0 to 2560x1080 hdmi adapters?

Spawnling123

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016

Features:
1. Transmission rate:
USB 3.1 will increase the original 3 rate 5Gbps to 10Gbps. You can transfer 2 Full HD video, 4K UHD video.USB can transmit 1 group 30 frames per second picture 3.1 added AV audio video transmission mode, can support the timely transmission of audio and video of the past than before, although USB supports timely video transmission, but mainly to audio based (taking into account the transmission rate is limited, only support the speaker, microphone), transmission application amount is small, adding new mode, Type-C can replace the function of cable HDMI converter.
2. Power supply function:
USB 5V, 900mA power supply from 4.5 watts to 10 watts, 18 watts to 36 watts, 60 watts, 100 watts, the device does not need more additional transformer (power adapter) can operate, such as scanner, printer, or dock port, laptop can. When more and more electronic products are powered by USB cable, it means that the power supply voltage and frequency of different countries are different from each other. The new power standard for USB3.1 is expected to be the common specification for the future of DC and electronic products, and the remaining large white appliances will follow the current design of various power sources.
3. Thin appearance:
The USB3.1 Type-C converter provides a small and thin Connector structure that allows both products to be slimmer.
4. Become compatible with more and more products;

it says it does

You have USB 3.0, so your computer can only give out 3.0 no matter what.
Even if you had a 3.1 adaptor like this, the input is still only 3.0 It cannot magically add the advantages to the USB 3.0 because its hardware is 3.0. ( I hope you are following me)
To make it simpler, if you had USB 2.0 on your computer and plugged an adaptor into it that was 3.1, your computer is still outputting 2.0 so the 3.1 just means you can add 3.1 devices to your computer, not that you get the advantage of 3.1 because the original is 2.0.

It's not like a computer where you can ADD a new card direct to the motherboard.

Spawnling123

Commendable
Oct 7, 2016

my laptop charges in a usb type-c port, which is usb 3.1, and the adapter is plugged into that. this adapter has a hdmi port, usb type-c, and a usb 3.0. I believe it would be more the case of the version of hdmi. I'd assume it would be able to do 2560x1080, but I am asking if there is something I need to do to achieve this, or if it simply isnt possible