Blue Screen Driver IRQL Not Less or Equal

derrick.henderson

Prominent
Jun 16, 2018
I apologize in advance, but my tech skills aren't the greatest. I appreciate any help I can get.

I have been getting this error for a while now. Sometimes it's random, but it's almost 100% guarantee it will happen when I launch an online game like World of Warcraft.

I reinstalled Windows and after installing all the updates and putting only my security software (Malware Bytes Premium and Webroot Premium), Twitch, and Battle.net App, and launching WoW, it crashed again.

After doing some digging, I realized if I go to the Realtek website, there was a driver update for my network adapter that was only a couple of days old. The one I was using was from 2015. For weeks, that seemed to have fixed the problem... until this morning. It has crashed 2x.

I installed 'WhoCrashed' and had it analyze my minidump files, but it seems inconclusive though I will include the report here:

On Wed 6/20/2018 5:01:51 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\062018-13859-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x198330)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x8, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80FEBA5714C)
Error: DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 6/20/2018 5:01:51 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: ntkrnlmp.exe (nt!setjmpex+0x73C9)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x8, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF80FEBA5714C)
Bug check description: This indicates that a kernel-mode driver attempted to access pageable memory at a process IRQL that was too high.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
The crash took place in the Windows kernel. Possibly this problem is caused by another driver that cannot be identified at this time.

On Wed 6/20/2018 4:47:15 AM your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\Minidump\062018-15734-01.dmp
This was probably caused by the following module: ntoskrnl.exe (nt+0x198330)
Bugcheck code: 0xD1 (0x50, 0x2, 0x0, 0xFFFFF803EF617304)
file path: C:\WINDOWS\system32\ntoskrnl.exe
product: Microsoft® Windows® Operating System
company: Microsoft Corporation
description: NT Kernel & System

I also installed RAM from another computer I have that is running Windows 8.1 and hasn't crashed at all. Though I haven't done any stress tests to be sure, I believe my RAM is good.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Colif

Win 11 Master
Can you go to C:\WINDOWS\Minidump
copy the files here to another folder
upload the copies to a file sharing web site and show a link here

I will get someone to convert files so I can see what might be actuial cause.

NTOSKRNL = windows kernel. It handles all driver requests, power management, and memory management. It sits between Hardware and Applications. It got blamed but its not the cause. Its critical to windows so if it crashes, windows has no choice.
the other file mentioned is also part of the kernel.

Did you swap ram before or after last error?

derrick.henderson

Prominent
Jun 16, 2018

I tried to put the minidump files into my OneDrive Public folder and create a link to it, but it keeps saying something about not being able to do it at this time. I have to leave for work in a few minutes, but I will work on trying to get those files uploaded this afternoon.

I installed the RAM a few weeks ago when I installed the updated network driver.

derrick.henderson

Prominent
Jun 16, 2018

I will test the memory tonight when I go to bed.

I'm looking in my c:\windows\minidump folder and it's empty. Do I need to wait for another crash or is there another way to find the file?

I have an older file and I think I zipped it up. I'm really horrible at this stuff. I created a new zipped folder and then put the old dump file inside it and then dragged it into my public folder on OneDrive but it said it wasn't able to. A few seconds later it showed up. Idk...

https://1drv.ms/u/s!Aikk-uWIWaLQlFnacMyWmR2tmNt7

I hope this is what you need.

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump file through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/vBfe.html

File: 061618-13718-01.dmp (Jun 16 2018 - 08:01:41)
BugCheck: [DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (D1)]
*** WARNING: Unable to verify timestamp for mwac.sys
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: MBAMService.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 42 Min(s), and 54 Sec(s)

System: Alienware Aurora-R4
RAM: 8GB RAM
BIOS: A11 (11/26/2013)
CPU: i7-4820K @ 3.7GHz (Not overclocked)

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

derrick.henderson

Prominent
Jun 16, 2018
Thanks for your time, gardenman. Just glancing at the info you provided it said possible memory corruption. I'm going to go ahead and start the memory test Colif suggested to see if I just need to buy some new memory sticks.

Colif

Win 11 Master

derrick.henderson

Prominent
Jun 16, 2018

Is the Intel Driver Assistant reliable for keeping Intel drivers up to date? I have it running. I've recently updated my Realtek driver. The driver I have installed now is from 5/11/18. I also have an updated version of Partition Wizard. The build date on it is 08/08/17.

This system is old but up until now, it's been so reliable. I also love the ease of working inside the Aurora R4 case though I would never go with Dell again with everything being so proprietary.

I'll tinker around with my software and see if I can get some stability. I appreciate your time, Colif.

TRENDING THREADS