AHCI setting for HDD fails on windows 10

logicandreasoning

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
I have to use IDE SATA for my WD 1 TB Green drive . Previously i used to work with AHCI settings from the motherboard in windows 8.1 , but when i tried the same on windows 10, after every restart it gives boot up crash (BSOD) like " inaccessible boot device "

I wanted to use AHCI because i heard this mode is better for hdd performance. lol I honestly don't know its purpose.

2ndly I am using my WD green @ 5200~ RPM on a 6GBPS SSD port with a 6GBPS cable. Will it make any difference if i use it on the standard 3GBPS port with a 3GBPS SATA (RED) cable.

Solution
Did you install Win10 with the mode set to AHCI or are you trying to turn it on after installing in IDE mode?

If you are trying to switch from IDE/compatibility/legacy mode to AHCI after installation, try these instructions.

I haven't tested them myself (I don't have a Win10 machine to hand, and if I did it would be in AHCI mode already) but I've seen a number of other people suggesting pretty much the same procedure so it seems to be common.

molletts

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
Did you install Win10 with the mode set to AHCI or are you trying to turn it on after installing in IDE mode?

If you are trying to switch from IDE/compatibility/legacy mode to AHCI after installation, try these instructions.

I haven't tested them myself (I don't have a Win10 machine to hand, and if I did it would be in AHCI mode already) but I've seen a number of other people suggesting pretty much the same procedure so it seems to be common.

Solution

logicandreasoning

Prominent
Sep 5, 2017
I have UEFI support from motherboard.

Specs are:
Mobo p8b75 m-lx .
corsair xms 3 4gb x 2 ddr3 @ 1600mhz xmp
650w corsair VS 650
CPU core i5 3470 @3.2GHZ
Windows 10 latest updated.
GPU Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB.

I think my last windows 8.1 was running on ACHI mode in bios settings.
but for Windows 10, the same setting did not work. So currently im running it on IDE mode.

how did you go about switching to AHCI mode? did you just set it in the BIOS with your OS already installed? or did you set it before installing your OS