4K or Freesync?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 16, 2018
So I'm looking between two monitors, one that's a "gaming monitor" with 75hz, freesync but only 1080p, and one that's a budget 4k monitor so I can enjoy everthing else except gaming a ton more and just use Dynamic V-Sync.

So I'm wondering if freesync is really worth it. I think there was something called ghosting that is involved with it that annoys people so yeah.

I would like to here from people that have used 4k monitor and people that have used Freesync.

Gaming Monitor: https://www.amazon.com/24-inch-FreeSync-Monitor-VG245H-Response/dp/B01JGYM5H6?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-d-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B01JGYM5H6&th=1

4K: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B073DPBJ7Q/?tag=pcpapi-20

Note: I will only be playing games at 1080p on the 4K monitor and using Dynamic V-Sync with that monitor.

Solution

The problem for you is the display maxes out at 60hz, even at 1080p. So you really need to decide whats more...

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
The more important question in this case is what is your GPU you plan to run the monitor. Unless you have a GTX 1080 or better you won't be playing any games in 4K at more than 45 FPS anyway. In that case the Freesync monitor would be better but only if you have an AMD graphics card as Nvidia doesn't work with Freesync.

Of course you can always play your games in 1080p on a 4K monitor and they will look good. Leaving you the ability to watch 4K video.

Apr 16, 2018

Sorry, I guess I didn't add that. I will only be playing games at 1080p and everything else at 4k, sorry.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
I have a 100 hz Freesync monitor and I have turned freesync off. While I can't prove it, my games SEEM to run smoother with it off. It could be just me I don't know. That said 4k 60hz isn't so great for gaming, that monitor in itself isn't such a great gaming monitor. At 27 inches unless you're sitting on top of it I'd question the value of having such high resolution.

What are the specs of the system you run, and what will you be doing primarily (gaming?).

Apr 16, 2018

My Specs: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/cjtW9J

Yes primarily gaming. Though just to clarify, I will turn the resolution down to 1080p for gaming.

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
I disagree a little bit with Rogue Leader:
I prefer 4K monitors especially up close at the desk as they eliminate the screen door effect of lower pixel densities, where you see the black lines between the pixels.

Some monitors have an unlisted spec where it does 60Hz at 4K, but 120Hz at 1080p. Custom Driver rez, or hacking the EIDI. That's handy. All my screens do that. :)

Of course, I have to admit that I don't play games where I think I need 170FPS (cough:CS-GO) to enjoy myself.

I use a 43" 4K Vizio TV as my monitor for my Ryzen desktop in the den and I really like having all those pixels up close, as it's equivalent to Four 22" 1080p monitors tiled, without the bezels breaking up the image.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

The problem for you is the display maxes out at 60hz, even at 1080p. So you really need to decide whats more important to you, watching 4k videos, or playing games at 1080p. 60hz is not horrible to game at, but there is a reason 100 and 144hz monitors are so popular for gaming.

Have you considered a 1440p 100hz monitor? Its a good compromise especially at the size you are looking for. High resolution, but good refresh rate as well.

I did say if you are sitting super close to it, its worth it. So we agree on the same thing.

This monitor does not seem to support over 60hz at any resolution, which makes sense based on how cheap it is.

Solution

MCMunroe

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2006
It wasn't listed but, works and if you use CRU, it shows up in game settings.

Vizio%2043.png

Slightly off topic. I personally would choose the 4K of those two choices. And that's the question you asked.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Maybe on the one you have, but I wouldn't bet money on the one he is buying without some sort of confirmation. Setting a refresh rate like that on a screen that doesn't support it can be dangerous and damage the screen.

Apr 16, 2018

Okay that was a lot of info.

1. I don't really want to go with 1440p as it loses performance and going to 1080p gets fuzzy.
2. I do agree with you and I would rather not make custom monitor things, don't want to risk it.
3. If I were to go with a 144/100hz monitor, are there any recommendations? I wouldn't want to spend to much.
4. 4K just sounds to good to pass up as I don't really play games like CS:GO where it's amazing to have that extra refresh rate and I'm sort of used to consoles FPS where it's lower.

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!
Apr 16, 2018

Yeah thanks for the help but I think I'll go with the 4K... for now.
I'm just so used to 60fps and I already think that looks great so I wouldn't really want to spend a ton more so thanks fo the help anyways. :)

Rogue Leader

It's a trap!

Please create your own thread for this, do not hijack other peoples threads. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS