Request review of my planned AMD build

leedis

Reputable
Sep 6, 2017
I am planning to put together a new gaming build in preparation for the upcoming WoW BFA release. This is the only game I play BTW.

The build is here: https://pcpartpicker.com/user/rakoth/saved/D7hH99

For the case I intend to reuse my Antec 900, and I also have plenty of HDDs for extra storage. My budget is in the $800 range.

I'm open to any suggestions to improve the build without driving up the price too much. Also, will the stock cooler suffice if I overclock the CPU or should I add one to the build?

Thanks.

SonnyNXiong

Prominent
Aug 6, 2017
i suggest that you buy a Gold certified power supply, gold ensures that your quality is better and it is even better under load. Also is that ryzen 5 for the current budget? if it is that x470 motherboard will allow you to jump to a ryzen 7 2700x at later date if you want to improve your system later on. Also make sure to check if you can transfer your W10 from an old pc to your new pc,(Assumung you have one) if you don't then you will need to buy a new W10 64-bit. Everything else you have is great.

leedis

Reputable
Sep 6, 2017
@Night Owl. Good point on the PSU. The Ryzen 5 is for the current budget, although I just realized I can get a 2600 for about $15 more so I'm thinking about that swap. As for the OS, I have W10 64-bit already.

Incidentally, the case I'm pinching is from my old Q6600 build that served our family well, initially as a gaming rig and later as just a general purpose PC.

Appreciate the feedback.

g-unit1111

Titan

Not always, there's some total garbage housefire quality units that are rated gold or higher. When looking for a PSU, the key is build quality. Efficiency ratings, certification, and even the stated wattage don't matter as much as buying a unit that's built well. The only time wattage would matter is if you're going SLI and that doesn't seem to be the case here. Even the best manufacturers are known to put out garbage units, which is why doing as much research as you can prior to buying a PSU is key.

Incidentally, the case I'm pinching is from my old Q6600 build that served our family well, initially as a gaming rig and later as just a general purpose PC.

I would look at buying a new case in the future - the Antec 900s are several years old now. It was a great case back in the day but they lack a lot of cable management and air flow features. Not to mention accessing the hard drive cages on these cases isn't exactly what one would call easy.

logainofhades

Titan
This would be a better option.

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 5 1600 3.2GHz 6-Core Processor ($159.99 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - X370 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard ($91.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory ($159.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Crucial - MX500 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive ($109.89 @ OutletPC)
Video Card: EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 3GB SC GAMING Video Card ($229.99 @ Amazon)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($49.99 @ Amazon)
Total: $801.84
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-06-26 12:42 EDT-0400

TRENDING THREADS