You’re About to Pay Higher Online Taxes After Supreme Court Ruling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 21, 2018
I suspect it will help Amazon as they were already collecting sales tax everywhere. Smaller mom and pop retailers, eBay sellers, Ecstasy sellers and so on won't be able to afford to comply with the new rules. You literally would be required to be familiar with all 50 states sales tax systems and the District of Colombia's. Then most of those states have local taxing districts within them, so you would have to be familiar with all of those as well. Most states require you to file sales tax returns (different than income tax returns) on a quarterly basis. Literally, all of you time as a small merchant, eBay seller or whatnot will be spent filling out those sales tax returns. The big merchants like Amazon will benefit because all the small ones will have to close up shop leaving the totality e-commerce to a handful of large companies.

Jun 22, 2018
What about all the cash money people get for gratuity. Just did a trip to Alaska 35 of us from NZ we all have the driver 20 USA each. Not bad cash money plus his wage. How much money is the government missing out there. In our country that is tax avoidance.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Just another way for ppl to stick their hands in my pocket. I honestly cannot see the difference between eBay and a yard sale. Private individuals buying already taxed items from other private individuals. Why does the government think it has any right to be a part of that. They already got paid taxes on the original sale.

As far as etailers go, half the time the products are not even in the same state. If Im in Florida and I buy a psu from newegg (California), it'll get shipped from Georgia. Just how is California loosing out on that deal? Why should they get paid sales taxes for product that's not even sold out of that state? If I lived in Georgia, sure, pay Georgia sales tax, be the same as if I'd gone to the store physically, but out of state?

I'd put money down on the fact that more than one of those Supreme Court judges stands to profit personally from this ruling.

Jun 22, 2018
RICH ARISTOCRATIC PIGS RULE THE COURTS LIKE THEY RULE THE BANKS , ITS ABOUT CONTROL , IF THERE IS A DOLLAR TO BE MADE SOMEWHERE ALONG THE LINE BE ASSURED THAT THEIR FILTHY PRESENCE IS THERE , THE SAME THING IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN IN AUSTRALIA FROM THE FIRST OF JULY.

Jun 22, 2018
The negative effect of this ruling isn't so much on the consumer as it is on the small business owner. Consider the mom and pop store who sells one item to a customer in Utah. Now he will have to figure out what that tax is, collect the money and figure out how to send it to State Revenue office in Utah. Multiply this times 50. This is bad news for the little guy.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Unless somebody actually had a bright idea like a Federal sales tax for e-commerce, where net sales tax is based on a single amount, preferably the lowest States tax, and it all gets paid to one place and Federal government can divvy it out as Federal relief or some other disaster type relief fund. I wouldn't mind paying that tax if I knew it would end up in the hands of the Red Cross etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.