[Windows 10] Sporadic freezing, no BSOD, no dumps, no recognizable patterns.

Jun 21, 2018
Hi All,
I keep searching for a solution to my issue, and while it keeps bringing me to this forum, I can't find something that matches my situation.

So about a month ago, my computer started hard freezing. It's completely random... I've had it go weeks without a freeze, then maybe a freeze or two per week, then nothing. I've even had it happen while Windows was in the initial loading screen. There is never any BSOD, warning, and I'm not able to distinguish any kind of pattern with it. The audio cuts out completely and the animated lights on my Razer keyboard and mouse freeze. I basically have to hard boot as nothing is responsive. I've tried to retrieve a dump file on WhoCrashed but it always comes back with "No valid crash dumps have been found on your computer" I'm not able to recreate the issue in any way and it's proving to be well above my skill level (which is not exactly high to begin with). I was able to rule out any heat issues as my GPU and CPU never go above 80 degrees on a fairly heavy load (while gaming/streaming which I read this normal) I saw suggestions to try MemTest86, which was done, and a stick was showing with errors. I isolated a corrupt stick and ruled out a faulty slot with multiple tests. I figured the freezing was over, but it's still happening. As far as I know I keep drivers/OS up to date. Basically if I see there's an update on any apps I use, I'll go for it right away.

My Rig:
AMD - FX-8350 4GHz 8-Core Processor
Gigabyte - GA-990FXA-UD5 ATX AM3+ Motherboard
Corsair - Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory (with one stick removed)
EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB GAMING Video Card
Corsair - Professional 850W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply

I'm not sure what I can post that would help figure this out, so I'll just dump what others have requested in similar situations.

HWMonitor Data
WhySoSlow Analysis
Event Viewer:
6LfopDo.jpg

Note the crash happened around 9:01:49PM I got a lot of errors after that, that I don't know if it's connected because they occurred after the freeze. Prior to the freeze there are no errors.

If anything needs further clarification, or there's something else I can post that will help diagnose, I'll happily oblige. I am beyond my wits end. Thanks so much for reading, and thanks in advance for any replies.

Run task manager while the system is running and take note if anything is maxed out for extended periods of time.
Also, do you have a page file set?

Lastly, it could be that your PSU is acting up, maybe try a different one? Kinda looks like, between all the errors and the description you left, that the PC doesn't have enough power. Those errors were probably created from all of the hard resets and freezes you've encountered.

EDIT: It's the PSU that is faulty, or the outlet or power source it's connected to. Try changing outlets, a different surge protector etc. I did some research and found that my original thought process was correct.

Jun 21, 2018
Did you come to that conclusion with the info I provided? I can switch the outlets no problem, but the PSU might be an issue because while I have other computers, they have much less in terms of internal components. I'm not sure if they could power everything. But is that the idea? Maybe it's something powered that's causing the issue?

I've never tested the PSU before, so I'm not sure the best way to go about doing so, aside from buying an entire new one and seeing if that remedies the issue.

Jun 21, 2018
Just following up with this in case someone is having a similar issue with a similar setup. I took a day and adjusted a bunch of settings and I've been stable now for about over a week and a half. I updated my audio drivers for the motherboard, turned off settings in the bios pertaining to C1 and C6 and turned off another setting for "cool-n-quiet". I essientially found a thread where someone was having a similar issue and those were the settings that were recommended. I forgot to save that thread though. (there was a lot of rebooting involved) I will update more if I find anything else out, but in the meantime... things are good!