Sanity Check - Case upgrade for 980TI cooling

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Hi all,

I currently have an ITX build - where I've recently upgraded the GPU from a 1060 3GB to a 980TI.
Unfortunately, that 980TI is running a little north of 90'C under gaming load with 100% fan speeds.... So I've got to change something.

There's currently two systems available to me; mine & my girlfriend's son's system that I've put together over time. Both Haswell/Z97 based.... so I think my best option is to give him the mITX case/board, and I take the ATX setup.

Current builds:
Mine:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/JgGRV6
His
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Barty1884/saved/kLzzMp

I'm thinking leaving him with:
https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/list/8dBFP3

I don't see any issues there ?

For my system though... I'm thinking a new case (don't think his H440 is too great re: airflow) and a couple of additional fans..... Aswell as an M.2 add-in card (which I've found used locally for $20 CAD) to support my 950 Pro?

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/Barty1884/saved/xBWM8d

Logically, do these changes make sense? Or am I missing a much, much easier solution?

That is your cheapest option.
The other is to change the cooler on the card to something more heavy duty, or Watercool it, which I think is a little too much cash.

980ti is so much more power draw, if you didn't need the extra power, go back to the 1060.
You should be pretty much maxing out your monitor.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Yeah, in the EvolvITX there's not going to be room for an aftermarket cooler or strapping an AIO to it.

The 3GB 1060 is gone, sold it to offset the cost of the upgrade. The step to the 980ti ended up costing me a net $50 CAD or so.

Not so worried about the cost necessarily, just simplicities sake (while aesthetically pleasing) Already looking at a couple of OS installs etc going this route....

I could just transplant my mITX setup to another mITX case with improved airflow..... but to support to D15 etc, I'm left with cubes... pretty much, and not a huge fan of most of them aesthetically

*EDIT* As for maxing out the monitor, you're right. I pretty much, exclusively play Friday the 13th. While the 1060 3GB could do "high" >60FPS most of the time, there's still dips. With the 980TI can do Ultra, the temps are even higher..... so I've been running it on "high" too, and seeing dips no lower than the ~80FPS range. That's definitely due to the temps/throttling clocks though.... I'd like to see "Ultra" ~100FPS more stable. Not needed though..... definitely more a "want" than a "need". Plus, a monitor upgrade is a possibility in the not too distant future.

Obviously, it's a great little case and looks good.
Have you tried gaming with the side of the case off, to see if that keeps it cool enough?
If that does and you don't mind modding the case, then a side fan may help.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
I haven't, actually.

While I'm not really open to modding the case (besides, with the components inside, I don't think there's much room for a side fan regardless of modding), I guess that'll at least tell me what I could expect from a larger case.

20180611_161623.jpg

Even if I could mod the side panel, any intake is probably going to blow at the top of the CPU cooler (for the most part).

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
OR, do I just move my components into the S340? Airflow isn't ideal in that case...... but still going to be an improvement, giving the GPU more room to breathe?

*EDIT* Nvm,. D15 doesn't fit in an S340. *sigh*

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
In which case?

I have another thought....

Thinking the NZXT G12 w/Corsair H55 mounted at the bottom of the front panel. Then I'll replace the 200mm stock intake with a 140mm Noctua?

All in all, similar money. Keeps the same case etc.

I have 3 fan headers on the board.
1. CPU fan w/noctua splitter for the cooler right now.
2. Using a splitter for a new noctua fan & the G12 fan
3. connect the GPU pump directly to the board.

That should work, right?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Update.

So, I bought the G12 + H55...... Some progress made, but not fully there yet.

Pics:

The issues...
1. I need to pick up another fan splitter.
The board has 3 headers. The CPU_Fan was populated with the NH-D15 fans (x2), Cha_1 was the 200mm intake.
For now, I've dropped CPU_Fan to 1x NH-D15 and the front intake (not sure on model, the stock NH-D15 fan). Cha_1 has a 3pin splitter - for the pump H55 pump and the fan for the G12. Cha_2 is unused (no splitters, and cables won't reach alone)

End-state will be
CPU_Fan = NH-D15 x2
Cha_1 = No change. 2x 3pin for Pump & G12 fan.
Cha_Fan2 will have a splitter for 2x intakes at the front.

2. I cannot fit 2x the 140mm fans I have currently (stock NH-D15 fans) at the front - as they use 120mm mounting holes, but are oversized. Thinking I'll replace with 2x https://www.amazon.ca/dp/B07654PNFQ/?coliid=I1CRSMPCNOAV69&colid=1PD32RG7JTU2P&psc=0&ref_=lv_ov_lig_dp_it

3. The Rad will not fit in the lower half of the case, as the PSU shroud blocks it fitting*. So it will need to sit at my upper/primary intake, with another intake mounted below. I was going to have to forgo my 3.5" drive if it fit down there though.
*Unless, I mounted the tubes at the 'top' of the rad..... It will fit in the bottom chamber. Just not 100% convinced I'll get another 1200mm to fit above it.

4. The PCB is bending slightly, given where the Rad tubing needs to go.

5. I had to remove the back and faceplates for the GPU

6. I lose my SSD mounting, so it needs to be relocated to the 3.5" bays below.

7. Temps have not actually reduced much under load. But quiet.
Before, I was seeing high 80's to low 90's under gaming load (Friday the 13th, epic settings, no VSync), 100% fan speed.
OR
70-75'C with "High" settings, VSync on.

NOW, 75-80'C with "Epic" settings, no Vsync.
84'C after 20 mins gaming, following by 8x Optimized SuperPosition.

Because the front intake is running to a splitter, paired with my CPU and based of it's temps....fan speeds are approx 700rpm under load...... So I think I need to ramp that up.

QUESTIONS:
1. Will the slight bending of the PCB cause any issues?

2. Would an exhaust, mounted at the top of the case make much sense? Mounted directly above where the air would come in through the Rad?

3. Should I invest in a fan controller, so the Pump and CPU fans are all wired directly to the board? I would need to if I opted for an exhaust for the top too.

4. If possible, should the Rad be (mostly) below the PSU shroud? It's where I wanted it to be initially. Any potential issued this could cause?

5. Other comments/suggestions welcome? I know there was easier routes.... but I've gone down this road now :lol: