File Not Found?

Jun 22, 2018
I am simply trying to save a picture from the internet to my desktop (also happens when saving a file from Photoshop to desktop, have not tried other programs yet). I've tried this in both Microsoft Edge and Opera (my preferred browser). I keep getting the error message "File Not Found - Check the file name and try again" which obviously makes no sense because this is a new file that I'm trying to save, I'm not trying to access an already present file. I can choose and save to my downloads folder fine. I did a disk check on C: and it had 0 bad sectors and I can't think of any recent changes I did directly to this computer other than turning on my anti-ransomware in Windows and adding my external drives to it's protection. BTW I'm running Windows 10

Jun 22, 2018

I am able to save to "Downloads" but not "My Pictures" or "My Documents"

I had already read that link that you posted and it's "partially" useful, If I turn the Ransomware Protection completely off I'm able to save (anywhere) again which I find extremely dumb, the ransomware protection is suppose to protect your files/computer from being taken over by other people, it isn't suppose to stop you from using your own computer.

Colif

Win 11 Master
oh so it was defender stopping you saving to desktop? That is just dumb, why is Defender blocking photoshop? seems it also does it to Acrobat and Lightroom as well, and sometimes to any application not installed via the store.

what happens if you right click photoshop and run as admin?

anti ransomware is there to protect you, not to stop you actually working. Glad I use Bitdefender, its protected folders are slightly smarter and so far haven't blocked me doing anything.

Jun 22, 2018

Well it isn't just Photoshop, it does the same when I try to save something from any internet browser as well (even Microsoft's browser that comes with Windows), but to answer your question, no, running the programs as admin doesn't help, thank you for the suggestion though.

Colif

Win 11 Master
i found one reply where the answer was its the fault of the app designer for making such badly made programs, which is irony given who wrote Edge which is also currently causing this. it sounds like this function has more control over your folders than you do. IN the past I would blame permissions but this is a security feature.

it was doing the same thing last year as well - https://malwaretips.com/threads/controlled-folders-access-blocking-legitimate-windows-processes-even-after-whitelisting-them.76580/

You should get a different ransomware protection as defender isn't very good even when its on - [video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e_TSm4hyLIU"][/video]

and the other one might not block other apps from doing what you ask them to do.