Specs:

• FX-6350 3.9 GHz
    XFX RX 580 GTS Black Edition
    Corsair CX500 PSU
    ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS Motherboard
    G.Skill Sniper 8 GB 2400 MHz
    Seagate 1 TB SSHD
    Windows 8.1
I had my old RX 580 sent back to XFX from overheating (my fault) and I got my replacement two days ago. Yesterday I was display driver crashes in random applications such as Chrome whilst browsing YouTube, Amazon, Google, etc. and in games such as The Binding of Isaac: Rebirth and CS:GO. BoI:R and CS:GO shouldn't be graphic intensive in the least, so I'm still confused why the display drivers crash. The third instance of display drivers crashing and recovering is when I was messing with some video settings inside Radeon Settings. I even edited and exported a few hundred photos on Lightroom CC the other day but the display drivers didn't crash which is weird to me.

I did not change or install anything after receiving the new RX 580; I used the same drivers as I did with the old one and nothing else. The only thing I did different was install the latest drivers (Adrenalin 18.6.1) and the problem persisted but so far, only during games.

The reason for my GPU replacement is because I was playing games during a heat wave where I live when I shouldn't have. Whole computer shut down and wouldn't turn back on. I diagnosed the problem to be my 2 month-old RX 580 in that the computer won't turn on unless removed from PSU power. When removed from PSU power, a red LED would show on the RX 580, indicating a faulty card.

I had followed everything regarding this issue from AMD's website here but again, if I had changed nothing after the new GPU what else could have gone wrong besides the GPU? I did not see any of the listed driver files anywhere (or I'm not looking in the right places).

EDIT:
Just tried the Unigine Heaven benchmark (DX 11, high quality, AA X8, normal tessellation) and I was getting an average of 85-90 FPS up until scene 10 or 11 where the display driver crashed taking the Heaven benchmark with it.

EDIT 2:
Within the registry edit, I went to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\GraphicsDrivers then changed the QWORD name to TdrDelay and its value to 8 according to a Microsoft forum post I can't find since I restarted my computer. After that, I tried the Unigine Heaven benchmark and successfully completed the whole thing with an average of 75 FPS. I was able to complete a 20 minute game of Rebirth with no problems. After that I tried CS:GO and ran a game of Arms Race, where I last crashed. I was able to play a game of Arms Race on Lake, the map I last crashed on, and it was fine. I got through half a game on Shoots and display drivers crashed. It crashes less, but still crashes.

EDIT 3:
Now it's just straight up restarting my computer while playing CS:GO. I'm too afraid to try anything other than CS:GO since everything else I have is pretty graphics intensive.

GDonPadlan

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014

Corsair CX500, and no overclock.

GDonPadlan

Reputable
Aug 26, 2014
MERGED QUESTION
Question from GDonPadlan : "Persistent display driver crashing"

Specs:

FX-6350 3.9 GHz
XFX RX 580 GTS Black Edition
Corsair CX500 PSU
ASUS M5A78L-M LX PLUS Motherboard
G.Skill Sniper 8 GB 2400 MHz
Seagate 1 TB SSHD
Windows 8.1

My old RX 580 died of accidental overheating and I got a new RMAed RX 580 the other day. When my computer died, I tested each component to see which had failed. Paperclip test in the PSU was fine. I saw that there was power delivery to my motherboard via the LED which is good. I tried inserting the RAM in different locations and it's fine. But when I connected the faulty RX 580 into PSU power, the whole system wouldn't turn on. Disconnecting power to the video card showed a red LED on the card, and the computer was also able to boot to the OS.

Every now and then in random applications and games, the display driver crashes and recovers. It's crashed in Chrome, Firefox, CS:GO (afraid to try other games), and while running the Unigine Heaven benchmark. I was able to edit and export hundreds of photos from Lightroom CC which was weird.

I looked at this link from AMD's website and it doesn't make sense to me; If I hadn't changed or installed new drivers or anything different at all why would there be a problem now? I tried increasing the Timeout Detection and Recovery registry value to higher values but the crashes persisted. I reinstalled Microsoft DirectX to its latest version and still crashes. I did not overclock the CPU or GPU either before the crash.