DNS Settings Changing Automatically

Jun 23, 2018
So I recently upgraded my Virgin Deal and got sent a new Superhub 3.0 router. Connected to internet and all is well until I reboot my PC and for reasons I'm not techy enough to understand the DNS server details were changed from 'Automatic' to a set of DNS numbers that I haven't input , specificallly 212.23.3.1 and 212.23.8.1 respectively. A lookup shows these belong to a company called Zentech based in London. I'd assumed the router was 'pushing' these to my PC but from the Virgin forums I'm told it's most likely something on my Windows 10 which makes sense as all wireless devices work OK as do other ethernet connected deviceds e.g. PS4.

So I ran a complete virus/malware hunt on my PC overnight just in case there was something overlooked. Again nothing found so I've restarted my PC again.

First thing I did was go to the ethernet and check the TCP/iPv4 settings. At first it was set to the "Obtain DNS server address automatically" and the network was fine but within a couple of minutes the network stopped and I checked again and now, without any input from me, it was changed to to the aforementioned numbers.

Tried looking at the system log and it shows a "DNS CLIENT Event" code 1014.

Anyone able to venture a guess what might be causing this?

popatim

Titan
Sounds like the hub is pushing that itself which wouldn't surprise me one bit since they all seem to be UK based. (Virgin Media, Arris (the hub maker), Liberty global (who owns them both), and Zen Internet)

I would manually set it to 1.1.1.1 and 1.0.0.1 myself.
https://blog.cloudflare.com/announcing-1111/