Amd GPU scaling makes my monitor "out of range"

Jun 23, 2018
Two months ago my computer could switch to different resolutions and it wouldn't stretch to fit the screen and would instead have black bars. Now changing to different resolutions will make it look squished and stretched. This bothers me because I cant get my game to go full-screen at 1280x720 anymore. I've tried updating my amd driver, uninstalling the display driver then restarting, I even reset my computer. I haven't tried restoring my computer from when it did work because the only backup is from two days ago. I even tried going back to an earlier of my amd driver.

So I tried to turn on gpu scaling on but that just brought my monitor to a black screen that says out of range. I don't know why it won't work. I feel like my problem will be fixed if I can turn on gpu scaling without going to a black screen.

Most games are designed to fit full screen on a 1080P monitor. But you should be able to adjust the resolution with in the game. Otherwise you can adjust the resolution by going to Windows Display.

I assume that you have an old monitor if it is giving you a letterbox at 1280 x 720.

Jun 23, 2018

I can adjust the resolution in game but it makes 1280x720 looks squished instead scaling it to have black bars at the top and bottom. Same with changing my resolution in display settings it makes 1280x720 looks squished. And yes my monitor is old it is 1024x768

I would recommend a new monitor then. You can pick up a 1080P monitor reasonably priced. You are going to have issues with adjusting modern resolutions to an older monitor like that. As you said you can adjust the resolution to your monitor,but it isn't going to be an ideal situation.

For example here is a popular 1080P 24" monitor from Asus for $135.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16824236102

Jun 23, 2018

Okay thank you.