A "System" process eating all of my resources

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
Hello...

So i was streaming 1080p Anime and i noticed that the stream was experiencing short freezes from time to time, i was wondering why so i fired up task manager to see what the heck is going on and this "System" process occasionally jumps from 20% to 99% creating system freezes, in fact as i'm typing this it happens, i can also hear my power supply fan speed up for a second or two and then slow down again

I opened it's file location and it led to a System32 file named "ntoskrnl"
What in the world is that? And why is it eating my resources?

Thanks, help is greatly appreciated

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
nt os kernal. It's basically the shell used to organize everything in the pc by OS. (old windows is used DOS, everything newer than XP uses NT base code)

It's eating your resources since you are pushing the cpu to its limits, which is why the freezes and its more likely the cpu fan is spinning up, not the psu fan, unless the psu is severely underpowered.

I'd be looking for other things, you were streaming anime, so the source might not be totally secure, it's entirely possible there's piggyback crap in the stream. Do a thorough malware/AV scan with malwarebytes, Spybot search and destroy, hitman pro. The likelihood that a Trojan has attached itself and is sending out info, while you are streaming, which would explain the sudden jumps in usage is pretty decent.

Myronazz

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2016
I don't think that's the case, it's very unlikely, most people are using that to stream anime and i doubt any of them got a virus from that, it's not like those shady "free movie" websites you find on the web, a friend of mine uses the same website and has no such issue going on

This was also happening this morning, i was playing Infinity Evolved (heavily modded Minecraft) and my framerate would experience spikes and occasionally drop from 75 to 30-20 and then climb back up again, this has never happened before, just today
So yeah, thinking about it a little more, this has been happening since this morning, not sure why, the CPU should be capable of everything that i am doing, it's a £565 6th generation Intel system