Installing Nvidia drivers crashes windows 10

Jun 24, 2018
My problem is this: I couldn´t access windows because of an error called IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL. I tried a lot of things to solve the problem and i found out that if I uninstalled the nvidia drivers i was able to use my computer normally. So after that I tried reinstalling the nvidia drivers and my pc crashed in the middle of the process and the same error from befre showed up so i had to delete the drivers again. I have an Asus gtx 760 2gb. Any help is appreciated.

Jun 24, 2018
And yes, I used DDU to remove them.
Also, WhoCrashed gives me this report: On Sun 24/06/2018 19:08:25 your computer crashed or a problem was reported
crash dump file: C:\WINDOWS\MEMORY.DMP
This was probably caused by the following module: nvlddmkm.sys (nvlddmkm+0x1394B8)
Bugcheck code: 0xA (0x38, 0x2, 0x1, 0xFFFFF800CE7B626F)
Error: IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
product: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 359.46
company: NVIDIA Corporation
description: NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 359.46
Bug check description: This indicates that Microsoft Windows or a kernel-mode driver accessed paged memory at DISPATCH_LEVEL or above. This is a software bug.
This bug check belongs to the crash dump test that you have performed with WhoCrashed or other software. It means that a crash dump file was properly written out.
A third party driver was identified as the probable root cause of this system error. It is suggested you look for an update for the following driver: nvlddmkm.sys (NVIDIA Windows Kernel Mode Driver, Version 359.46 , NVIDIA Corporation).
Google query: nvlddmkm.sys NVIDIA Corporation IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Try installing the latest drivers from Geforce.com

Have you updated the motherboard bios before having the issue?

Either the motherboard or Windows is not detecting graphics card properly. Could be a faulty card or corrupt Windows install.

If you've made changes in the bios try load defaults or clear cmos.

If have a spare hdd try a reinstall of Windows. Disconnect all other drives when installing win10 to avoid relocation of boot records.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
If you're satisfied Win10 is ok, try reseating the graphics card.

Do you have onboard graphics you can use to boot windows in? If so, boot to windows without 760 then once there power down and reinsert 760.

If no onboard graphics, take the card out, reset cmos then put the card back in.

Unplug pc from power before working inside a computer. Obvious advice but youd be astounded how many don't.

Jun 24, 2018

Ok thanks in advanced for helping me this much. I have an onboard Intel HD graphics so i booted Windows using it but with the 760 still inside my pc, just without the drivers so It wouldn't detect It. So i should remove it? I thought that if all the drivers were deleted It was the same as if It wasn't even inside the pc

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Hardware level refresh by reseating graphics card so motherboard re-detects. May or may not work if gpu is faulty but in case of random motherboard glitch try reseat. Clear cmos while the card is out after the process of getting into windows with igpu and powering down.

Remove card first before using igpu

Jun 24, 2018

Ok I've done all that. So now i should try and install the Nvidia drivers again?

Jun 24, 2018

Yep. It also crashed with the latest version but now the error is IRQL NOT LESS OR EQUAL, the same I got when my problem first started

boju

Titan
Ambassador
okay, the gpu isn't complying with the system when drivers are being installed which means the card itself isn't engaging properly. I was trying to avoid you needing to troubleshoot parts but looks like your next stage is to follow smorizio's advice.

Software wise the only couple of things left to try is Win10's reset option or clean install just in case it's still software related but doubt it. If you have a spare hdd to test a fresh install on that would be easiest and less inconvenience.

A guide if you've never installed Win10 from scratch:
www.tomshardware.com/faq/id-3567655/clean-installation-windows.html

If you try a reinstall, disconnect any other drives that may be connected as Win10 has a habit of putting boot records on them and if you disconnect those drives in future the system wont boot.

Jun 24, 2018

I reinstalled Windows and the same thing happened when I tried to install the Nvidia drivers. Is there any way to identify if it's a GPU or a psu problem without another pc yo test them?

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Id suggest testing psu with multimeter but haven't done so myself i feel uncomfortable suggesting this. There are tutorials how and need to locate the pin out arrangement diagram for your psu as many psus can have different pin arrangements.

If you have a pc shop close by, could you take the graphics card to them? They usually have a repair section with testing PC's.

Jun 24, 2018

Ok i'll try to do both things. I really hope it's the PSU as i would like to upgrade to a modular one, but in the other hand, if it's the GPU, a fucking 1060 is like 14000 pesos (450 dollars) here in Argentina.

boju

Titan
Ambassador
Yeah gpus are expensive from the mining craze. New gen gpus are coming soon, hoping to have an effect on choice and prices.

If it was psu at fault would figure that other symptoms would exist too as in shutoffs and restarts. Suppose not always, hard to know.

Does your psu come with multiple pcie power plugs could try?

Just a word of warning, any modular cables be it from full or semi models must remain original cables. Modular cables from different psu models can have different pin arrangements and using power cables such as pcie, sata, cpu or atx can result in frying components.

Jun 24, 2018

Well I've experienced restarts while playing fortnite some weeks ago so that could be It.

PCSorcerer

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2009
Hello nicolastiene,
Did you find a solution for your problem. I just "stumbled" across the same problem you are having with my GTX 780.
I'm starting to believe that NVIDIA is breaking our cards so we buy new ones :D

On a more serious note I'm sorry to say that most probably the card is defective. I've tried everything with no results.
I tested the GPU on 2 different PC's with the same result, works with the Windows Generic Driver but when I try to install NVIDIA drivers I get blue screen of death and never enters windows again unless I start in safe mode and uninstall drivers.
I tested both PSU's on both PC's and they are fine.
I tested everything that was suggested in this thread and more...and no results.
If you managed to make it work please tell me how :)

Jun 24, 2018

I did exactly the same. The GPU is the problem so now I have to use the Intel HD graphics. I can still play rocket league and fortnite tho xd