Need Advice On This Build

Jun 24, 2018
Hi guys, I am looking to build a new computer and hope to have some advice from the community.

Below are the parts that I have picked for my new build.
I could not decide on the motherboard, ram and graphics card.
Also, I am not sure if the parts are compatible with each other and do not know if the build will be overkill, "under-kill" or just nice.

And, what would be the required power supply to obtain the optimal performance?

Feel free to add/change the parts mentioned below.

Looking to use the computer for 5 years.

Hoping to have advice from some of the pros here.

Thanks!

Motherboard + Processor
Asus TUF B360-Pro Gaming Wifi + Intel Gen 8 8400 2.8
OR
Asus ROG Strix B360-i Gaming (M-ITX) + Intel Gen 8 8400 2.8

Harddisk
SSD - Samsung 970 EVO (256GB)
HDD - WD Black (4TB)

Ram
Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666MHz 2x8GB
OR
Corsair Vengeance LPX 3000MHz CL15 2x8GB

Graphics Card
MSI GTX 1050i Afterburner 4GB (Gaming X)
OR
Gigabyte GTX 1050Ti Aero 4GB OC (Windforce)
OR
MSI GTX 1050Ti Aero OC 4GD GDDR5 (ITX)

Why are you considering an m-itx board? That's mostly for smaller builds, so if you have a normal size case then the first motherboard is the better choice.

As for RAM, the speed is not that important, and I don't think your motherboard will support 3000 MHz, so the 2666 MHz is fine, your board won't run the RAM faster than that.

The main difference in the graphics cards is the cooler, so choose the graphics card whose cooler looks...cooler. As in, the one which looks better to you. The Gaming X has a pretty good cooler, but it's overkill for a 1050 Ti IMO. The Windforce is okay. It really comes down to what look you prefer, because performance will be the same with all of them, though temps might be a little different.

As for power supply, a Corsair CX450, CX550, CX450M, CX550M, all are good budget choices. If you have higher budget then EVGA Gold, Corsair RMx, SeaSonic Focus and Cooler Master V-series are higher-end units. 550 watts is all you're going to need, and 450 watts will also suffice, but get a second opinion on the PSU on the forum before buying it - some PSU's look good but are terrible, and vice versa.

g-unit1111

Titan

They're decent but you could definitely get better depending on how much we're talking about. I'd go for the Seaonic or EVGA personally depending on which model they are.

Of course you can. There's always a better power supply you can get - I'm just listing the budget ones that are still good, and the ones that are known good.

Jun 24, 2018

I do not stay in US, hence I am looking between US$1300-1400 equivalent to my local currency.

Jun 24, 2018

I did not know that m-itx is for smaller builds.

Do you have any motherboard in mind? preferably intel gen 8 and i5 3.0.

How about these 2 motherboard:
Asus Prime H370M-Plus/CSM with gen 8 i5 3.0
Asus TUF H370-Pro Gaming Wifi with gen 8 i5 3.0

Jun 24, 2018

Some simple games like dota2, d3, sc2 and some other mmorpg.

You can use m-itx boards, they're just...tiny. Nothing wrong with them, but with an ATX case it would look very weird.

The Asus TUF B360-Pro was fine, that's an ATX board, which is the largest and the ideal choice. I would go with that.

Also, considering your budget, are you sure you can't get a better GPU?

Jun 24, 2018

Is Seasonic M12II-620W EVO Modular 80+ good enough?
How about CM Masterwatt 750W?

A bit overkill for a 1050 Ti. 450-550 W is all you need, but a good quality unit.

Jun 24, 2018

Is the Windforce compatible with the Asus TUF B360? Like will it be overkill for it?

I am not good in the components, hence the noob questions.

After adding the all parts, the windforce or windforce equivalent is what my budget can afford.
I had a Sapphire HD 7850 previously. How is Windforce compared to Sapphire HD 7850?

All GPU's are compatible with a motherboard, as long as both use PCI-E connector, which is the standard connector for all modern GPU's and motherboards. So yes, they are indeed compatible. No, it's not overkill

Can you send a link of what Windforce card you are buying? Sometimes even I end up confused with all these GPU names >.<

http://gpu.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Nvidia-GTX-1050-Ti-vs-AMD-HD-7850/3649vs2182

The 1050 Ti(Windforce) is 43% faster than the HD 7850 you had. Now it is up to you to decide whether this upgrade is worth the money or not.

I second the suggestion for a better graphics card, particularly if you don't intend on replacing it for a number of years. Even a 1060 3GB would be quite a bit faster than a 1050 Ti in most newer games. The games you listed should run fine enough on a 1050 Ti, but you may want to play more demanding games than that in the near future, which a 1060 will handle better, particularly at 1080p resolution or higher. If the system is primarily for gaming, I would even consider moving up to a 1060-level card as being more important than moving up to 16GB of RAM right now. Even the vast majority of today's more demanding games don't benefit all that much from having more than 8GB of RAM, and RAM is priced relatively high right now. With four RAM slots, you have the option of adding more later.

Jun 24, 2018

As per cryoburner, how about the 2 graphics card:

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1060-ARMOR-3G-OCV1

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1060WF2OC-3GD#kf

Which one would be a better choice?

Jun 24, 2018

Comparing these 2, which is better? Price wise, differs by like 4usd.

https://www.msi.com/Graphics-card/GeForce-GTX-1060-ARMOR-3G-OCV1

https://www.gigabyte.com/Graphics-Card/GV-N1060WF2OC-3GD#kf

I know I'm pushing it, but can you get a 6 GB version instead? It is far more future-proof, and the 3 GB will become a limitation in the future, and some very, very few current titles. If you can't push it that far, it's fine, the Windforce card would be my choice out of the two linked above.

Jun 24, 2018

Thanks for your help!

I will see how my budget works out and try to get the 6GB one.

Between those two cards, they both seem fairly similar, so I have no real opinion about which would be better.

And yeah, the 6GB version is another option. In addition to the difference in memory, the 3GB version also has 10% fewer processing cores, which typically results in around 10% lower performance on average, even when the memory doesn't into play. Even the 3GB version can get close to 50% more performance than a 1050 Ti though, at least when a game's performance isn't being limited by other parts of the system.

Jun 24, 2018

Thanks for the information and the percentage.

I have decided to get 1060. As for the 6gb version, will see how my budget works out.

Jun 24, 2018
Wanna ask you guys, does RainMeter takes up a lot of ram and processing power? Presuming using the mentioned build.

I have not used Rainmeter, but it sounds like the potential performance impact will depend largely on which skins are used, and how optimized they are...

https://forum.rainmeter.net/viewtopic.php?t=21013

With a 6+ core CPU, I doubt that there would be any significant CPU performance impact in today's games. As for RAM, it most likely wouldn't be a problem either. I suppose if a demanding game were pushing you up near 8GB on a system with 8GB of RAM, and you had hundreds of megabytes dedicated to running a desktop skin, it could potentially make some difference though.