PC wont start

Olle118

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2015
Hi about an hour ago I was playing on my computer when everything froze and my keyboard and mouse stopped lighting up. I waited a few minutes before I tried turning it off but I could not use the power button to turn it off so I turned the power to the whole computer off instead. After this I tried turning it on again but now it just starts and turns off again after a few seconds. Any guesses on what could be the problem and how I could fix it?

TL;DR My computer crashed and Only starts for a few seconds before turning off again

Colif

Win 11 Master
My mobo is Asus Z97-A,
my cpu is i5 4690k,
graphics card is asus geforce 1060 and
my psu is a corsair 500v,
I also have a samsung ssd and a Toshiba hdd.

which model Corsair PSU?

You should have been able to use power button on case to shut it off, just holding it down for 5 seconds or so should turn PC off.

You can try removing GTX 1060, and run monitor off the onboard connectors on motherboard, and see if it starts or not.

I think it might be power, taking card out and getting same result would at least mean its not the GPU

Colif

Win 11 Master
Yeah I've tried without the gpu with the screen connected to the motherboard but the screen says no cable connected, then the PC turns off after 20-30 seconds. I've tried with another screen as well but nothing comes up on that one either.

PSU - Corsair CX500M

Quotes from PM

You needed to re enable the integrated graphics in motherboard before it would work. Its normally disabled if there is a External GPU (like your 1060) - http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/id-2164186/monitor-work-connected-motherboard.html

How old is your system? The Corsair CX500 is notorious for aging quickly and poorly due to low-quality capacitor selection. If your system works without the graphics card, that PSU may no longer have the muscle for your 1060 under a gaming load. If it still shuts off within a few seconds, something you might check is if your CPU cooler uses pushpins rather than screws, have one or more of them popped loose? This would cause your CPU to overheat, and it would shut down to save itself.

TRENDING THREADS