Can you upgrade from Windows 7 Home Premium to Windows 10 Pro?

No_Scoped_Jesus

Reputable
Jan 14, 2015
Hi guys

I have just bought a key for Windows 10 Pro, I am currently on Windows 7 Home Premium. Please tell me there is a way to upgrade from 7 Home Premium to 10 Pro?! I had no idea there were restrictions on which OS you can upgrade to!!! Wtf is that all about :(

Thanks!

Solution
you should be able to just install windows 10 PRO over the windows 7 install if you want.. but I would just do a clean install and then just enter the new windows 10 key when you are installing the OS. (backup your current stuff)

you cant do an upgrade install from like 32bit to 64bit just an fyi.

I have though done an in place upgrade from windows 10 home to Pro with a new key. and you can install the base version of windows 10 home and then update to pro with your key kinda thing. but I would really recomend that you do a full install and not a upgrade install over windows 7

Doctor Rob

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
you should be able to just install windows 10 PRO over the windows 7 install if you want.. but I would just do a clean install and then just enter the new windows 10 key when you are installing the OS. (backup your current stuff)

you cant do an upgrade install from like 32bit to 64bit just an fyi.

I have though done an in place upgrade from windows 10 home to Pro with a new key. and you can install the base version of windows 10 home and then update to pro with your key kinda thing. but I would really recomend that you do a full install and not a upgrade install over windows 7

Solution