Searching for suitable upgrades for PC with Intel Core 2 Duo CPU on ASUS PSGC-MX/1332 (LGA 775) motherboard to run Windows 10

Jun 28, 2018
What upgrade do I need on my old PC with an Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E7200, ASUS PSGC-MX/1333 (LGA 775) motherboard and 2GB Single-channel DDR2 RAM to smoothly run Windows 10 and MS Office Home & Student 2016? It does not have a dedicated graphics card.

With the money you need to invest to get this system to run win 10 smoothly you can easily buy a second gen i5 machine from ebay that will run windows 10 better.

To get your system to run windows 10 and office smoothly you would need:
AT LEAST 2 more gb of ram
a dedicated gpu that is semi modern
preferably an ssd
a new cpu since thats a really low end core 2 and will struggle.
So basically a new pc already.

I'd suggest adding more ram, but 2GB is max this board supports.
And add SSD.
Since this pc is just for Office usage, no other upgrades are necessary.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Don't try to fresh install win 10 on that PC, it won't work. LGA775 not supported by Intel or Microsoft anymore, you would need to put Win 7 on it first and then upgrade for it to possibly work. Driver software would be a struggle.

New PC is a better choice going forward. Especially if you want smooth usage. Definitely want an ssd

Jun 28, 2018
Thank you for all the advice. I actually already have a new PC (i5 8400 core on ASUS Prime H310-E motherboard). Guess I was kinda hoping to "breathe" some life back into the old timer instead of just retiring it completely. Many thanks, again!

Colif

Win 11 Master
10 years is a good life span for most computers, getting into stage parts of motherboard itself stop working. I used my last PC for almost that amount oi time, it too was a Dual Core E6600, I never contemplated updating it past win 7 though.

Downvoting people you disagree with gets you no where.

Jun 28, 2018

TRENDING THREADS