Windows only booting from (windows boot manager) in BIOS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jun 28, 2018
So i just built my new gaming PC and as i was installing windows i realized that my PC won't boot directly to windows , it will always go into BIOS.i have to select manually (windows boot manager) Even though its number 1 priority.

What can i do so it boots directly to windows.

Sorry for my English i am french.

Specs:
I7 8700k
GTX 1080ti SLI
32 GB ddr4 ram
Maximus X hero Motherboard
samsung 860 evo (where i installed windows)
4TB HDD

Colif

Win 11 Master
try running startup repair and see if it fixes it

go to settings/update & security/recovery
under Advanced Startup, choose restart now
this loads you into a blue menu at startup

choose troubleshoot
choose advanced
choose start up repair - this will scan PC and maybe fix this - will ask for logon info

Jun 28, 2018
Hello thank you for your answer this unfortunately did not solve the problem they put me back in the bios where i selected windows boot manager, after that they told me windows cant fix your PC.

Colif

Win 11 Master
So even as you were installing, it would go to bios and not boot off the SSD. How odd.

Your manual (French version) - http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/LGA1151/ROG_MAXIMUS_X_HERO/F13247_ROG_MAXIMUS_X_HERO_UM_WEB_20170904.pdf

Anything showing up in the Boot override field (on the boot tab in advanced mode of BIOS). I don't think it should have anything in it,

I was trying to find an option that allowed you to boot off USB once and then default to the windows boot manager.

Is fast boot enabled?

this might help - https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-rebuild-the-bcd-in-windows-2624508 - Windows 10 can make changes to bios and should have done that on install.

Jun 28, 2018
hello again thank you for your response, the link did not work unfortunately , on the boot override i see 3 options the windows boot manager my SSD and my HDD. What i find so odd/weird about this, is that my PC runs perfectly, windows works fine and all the components run smooth as butter, why am i getting this boot issue , do you thinks its hardware related or software related ?

Colif

Win 11 Master
The answer from startup repair is normal, it shows that even if there is nothing wrong with PC. I don't believe its a windows problem since it works fine as you say, its the motherboard not doing what its meant to do.

It might be your CMOS battery needs to be replaced (you can buy them in electronics stores, they detach from motherboard. CMOS battery saves settings for BIOS, its meant to remember details such as boot order.

There is a new BIOS for motherboard, it might help - its dated June 29 2018 so good chance you don't have it yet - https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/ROG-MAXIMUS-X-HERO/HelpDesk_Download/

Jun 28, 2018
i updated the BIOS and nothing has changed i still see the american megatrends screen and then i have to boot to the bios where i have to manually select windows boot manager even when my pc wants to restart.

Jun 28, 2018
When i try to boot overdrive from my ssd or hdd it goes to a black screen for 2 seconds then returns to bios. it only boots when i select windows boot manager in boot overdrive.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Regarding your question in that other thread - how do Install in legacy - on your motherboard you would need to change CSM (in boot menu) to enabled as its probably set to Auto right now. Try setting it to disabled, it could stop going into BIOS at start and just choose windows Boot manager by default.

The default setting for CSM is Auto meaning the PC should start once, not find the drives and then restart to try the legacy boot method. If you leave it as Auto and try to install Win 10 will default to UEFI boot method which matches the windows boot manager method

Your drive is formatted for UEFI boot, that is why choosing the drives directly doesn't work. The BIOS can't find the boot location if you just do that, WBM contains the directions it needs to boot off drive

Jun 28, 2018
installing windows in legacy mod didn't work... in the end i think its a motherboard problem because when i put my flash drive (usb) in priority 1 it didn't even boot from it, i had to select my usb manually from the boot overdrive. i will try chnaging the battery of the CMOS

Jun 28, 2018

the drives listed are in this order

1-windows boot manager
2-Samsung ssd
3-HDD

I think you have missed a step in the install procedure. (As a precaution, disconnect the HDD prior to the install.) It's important to install Windows using a UEFI bootable device. When you first insert the USB drive with the install files, the USB drive should show up as a selectable drive for the install with (UEFI) listed beside it . Only use a UEFI bootable device. Once the install is done, then the C: drive listing in boot manager/bios will say (Windows Boot Manager ) SSD.

Status
Not open for further replies.