Various BSODs on a freshly installed Windows

Anna159

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015
Recently, I have been encountering BSODs at random times, so I decided to go with a fresh installation of Windows. It did not solve the issue. Currently, the system is fresh, with only graphics driver installed (which is my main suspect) I also am not ruling out hardware issue. Sometimes, instead of BSOD, motherboard cuts off power to all USB devices and I have to do a hard reset for it to work again. Here are the minidumps with the bsods I encountered:

PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA
ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL
SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION

http://www.filedropper.com/bsodmndmp

I run chkdsk but it found no problems

My config:

CPU: Intel Core i7 920
MOBO: Gigabyte EX58-UD3R
RAM: DDR 3 8GB Triple channel (2x 2GB Kingston + 1x 4GB Crucial Technology)
GPU: Gainward nVidia GTX 260
PSU: BeQuiet 750w

Solution
PSU don't last forever, it might be reason the power would cut out sometimes and lose power to USB devices as often USB are 1st things d/c if not enough power to run hardware. You might want to get a new one at some stage.

Once you can afford it, I would buy a new PC just to avoid situations where there are only 2 drivers for PC

Colif

Win 11 Master
have you tried running with just the 2 x 8gb ram sticks?

Try running memtest86 on your ram sticks, 1 stick at a time. Any error count higher than 0 is too high, replace/remove stick. It creates a bootable USB

Motherboard has no win 10 drivers so that could be a cause too. I will get someone to look at dump files and create a file I can read to see whats running on PC at time of crashes.

How old is PSU?

gardenman

Splendid
Hi, I ran the dump files through the debugger and got the following information: https://pste.eu/p/XWZA.html

File: 062818-32296-01.dmp (Jun 28 2018 - 07:35:59)
BugCheck: [PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA (50)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: WerFault.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 00 Min(s), and 41 Sec(s)

File: 062818-18453-01.dmp (Jun 28 2018 - 07:33:03)
BugCheck: [ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY (BE)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: MsMpEng.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 0 Hour(s), 01 Min(s), and 34 Sec(s)

File: 062718-55687-01.dmp (Jun 27 2018 - 14:07:35)
BugCheck: [IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (A)]
Probably caused by: memory_corruption (Process: System)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 1 Hour(s), 46 Min(s), and 59 Sec(s)

File: 062718-22859-01.dmp (Jun 27 2018 - 12:19:20)
BugCheck: [SYSTEM_SERVICE_EXCEPTION (3B)]
Probably caused by: dxgmms1.sys (Process: TESV.exe)
Uptime: 0 Day(s), 4 Hour(s), 31 Min(s), and 52 Sec(s)
Motherboard: https://www.gigabyte.com/Motherboard/GA-EX58-UD3R-rev-17
You have BIOS version F11 installed. I can't find it on the page for your motherboard. Something isn't right about that.

To Colif: Odd reading on the RAM. 3 modules?

Edit: Oh, triple channel (like mine). But do they all have to be the same? Maybe not.

I can't help you with this. Wait for additional replies. Good luck.

Colif

Win 11 Master
@ gardenman

1. He has revision 1.0 of the motherboard, your link was 1.7 :)

2 ram = triple channel (He mentioned it above) its mentioned in specs of motherboard it has dual or 3 channel memory

The only bios above the one he has installed are both Beta and unlikely to really help as they from 2012.

Only 3 drivers running, try updating NIC drivers - http://www.realtek.com.tw/Downloads/downloadsView.aspx?Conn=4&DownTypeID=3&Langid=1&Level=5&PFid=5&PNid=13

2nd crash was Windows Defender, I am guessing its caused by LAN drivers
4th crash is Direct X. I would say its the Nvidia drivers or the capture card. Depends which you use in Skyrim.

Wow, I used to have a GTX 260... 6 years ago. When it died it took Vista with it.

thinks... you might be better off using win 7 as you would have more drivers to choose from and not struggle to get a GPU driver as much. Your win 7 licence would still work, just getting all the updates again might take a while, its still better than constant errors.

Anna159

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015

The PSU is 8 years old and it is actually 700W, I made a mistake. The whole PC is very old, I am aware of that, it is a custom build I made almost 10 years ago.

I would degrade to Windows 7, but there are two reasons I cannot do that:
I only have a license for Windows Vista, (bought the PC before win 7 rolled out) which is obsolete, I also have an account on Windows Imagine as a student, but the last time I checked, they no longer offer Windows 7. Secondly, I am in a group project that develops .NET apps and I need the newest iteration of development kit and Visual Studio, don't know, if Windows 7 is fully compatibile.

I will do a memtest when I have a few hours when I do not need my PC. Thank you for all the input, really appreciated.

Colif

Win 11 Master
PSU don't last forever, it might be reason the power would cut out sometimes and lose power to USB devices as often USB are 1st things d/c if not enough power to run hardware. You might want to get a new one at some stage.

Once you can afford it, I would buy a new PC just to avoid situations where there are only 2 drivers for PC

Solution

Anna159

Reputable
Jul 8, 2015

Thank you, I am currently saving up for a new build. Well, I guess that is it, nothing more can be done to improve the current situation. Big thanks for everyone posting here.

mathieu.prevot

Reputable
Jan 5, 2019
You might experience different hardware problems (usb, memory). You can get the history of your BSOD/freeze at
XML:
Control Panel\System and Security\Security and Maintenance\Reliability Monitor
(or 'reliability' in search/cortana).
You should get quickly a history of your problems. In each case, replace or disconnect the DDR or the USB cables (in particular those that bring the USB to the front panel inside the case); a faulty contact + some usb device (wifi, mouse) can make your pc freeze.
For the memory, if you have factory settings, your can increase a bit the voltage (in the BIOS) in order to increase the realiability, this is cheaper than buying new DDR, and it works.