networking in win 10

johnwhelan3316

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
in the graphical user interface I'm unable to see the computer I want on the LAN. However if I go into CMD and use the copy command with the share name the files copy without a problem.

Is it possible to add machines to the windows 10 GUI network?

Thanks John

When Microsoft removed HomeGroup functionality in the April Update (i.e. Windows 10 1803) it disabled visibility of network shares in File Explorer. You need to turn on the two services, that were disabled, to get the share visibility back in File Explorer. Once the two services have been set to automatically restart on all of your Windows 10 computers you'll need to reboot them. It usually takes a couple of minutes before you see the other computer(s) show up in the Network folder.

Renable_Services1.jpg

Renable_Services.jpg

johnwhelan3316

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Both machines are set private and discoverable. One machine shows computers, media devices and multifunction devices. The other machine only shows media devices. One is win 10 home and the other is win 10 pro.

Both machines can be accessed with the CMD commands such as dir \\network\share.

Is there a way to show computers on the home machine. It has in the past.

I can live with it as I'm used to using DOS commands its more would be nice.

Thoughts?

Thanks John

stdragon

Admirable
It shouldn't be the Home machine that can't list them, rather, it's the hosting server that's not hosting/broadcasting.

ko888 might be very well correct. That Windows 10 Pro machine got updated to v1803 and thus should at least validate that those two services are running on as indicated in the screenshot above.

johnwhelan3316

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
The two services were set to manual on both machines, changed them to automatic and everything shows up nicely.

Thank you both since you both contributed part of the answer to the puzzle.

John