ASRock Z97 Extreme6 LGA 1150 Intel Z97 seizures/lockups

Chupacabra69

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
Hey guys at my wit's end here - have been dealing with debilitating computer lockups for months now.

A list of issues and troubleshooting performed, as well as hardware below. Unfortunately ASRock doesn't seem to have any kind of diagnostics for me to test their board. I have no spare CPU or memory to replace those as a test, but I'm fairly certain those aren't at fault. A lot of the issues I'm seeing are related to motherboard.

Wondering if you know of any good diagnostic software that would test the mainboard, if there is anything else I can try, or do you concur with my assessment?

I am probably going to RMA this thing. I will just be without a computer for weeks... which isn't great. Thanks for any thoughts.

The issues the PC is experiencing:

• Computer locks up hard when trying to install motherboard drivers under regular or safe mode
    Intermittently, Motherboard won't reboot - PC has to be shut down, power supply turned off, then turn it all back on.
    Sudden I/O issues, hard drive sluggishness (I have a SSD, it is not sluggish)
    System Siezures. System "locks up" for several seconds at a time intermittently. When I try to detect motherboard drivers the system locks up hard.
    Graphics performance issues and crashes

Troubleshooting performed:

• Operating system has been formatted and reinstalled.
    BIOS has been updated. BIOS has been reset.
    Drivers have been updated.
    Tests performed under safe mode and issues happen in safe mode, therefore this is not drivers issue.
    Checked for any programs in task manager that might be causing sudden surges leading to siezures and lockups - there were none. Siezures happen without any increase in CPU or memory usage.
    Tested using 3 separate GPUs (Graphics Cards), and on-board video.
    Videos card reseated (many times).
    Tested installing GPUs in different PCIE slots.
    Graphics cards blown out with air and do not appear to be overheating.
    RAM reseated twice.
    RAM modules shuffled and moved between different sockets.
    Blew machine out with air to ensure no dust or heat buildup.
    Set all fans to maximum airflow. Checked for temperatures in BIOS and they appear OK. (39-40 degrees idle, 43-45 under load, low 50s under extreme load)
    Power supply replaced with brand new unit.
    Video card replaced with brand new unit.

Computer specs:

Motherboard: ASRock z97 extreme 6 (S/N: D060996C2CF1)
    CPU: Intel Core i5-4670K Haswell Quad-Core 3.4 GHz LGA 1150 84W BX80646I54670K Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics
    RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2400 (PC3 19200) Desktop Memory Model F3-2400C11Q-32GXM
    CPU Fan: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO - CPU Cooler with 120mm PWM Fan
    PSU: Cooler Master i500 - 500W Power Supply with 80 PLUS Bronze Certification (issues occurred with a 630 watt PSU also)
    Video card (brand new): XFX Radeon RX 570 4gb (RX-570P4DF)
    Hard Drive: SanDisk Ultra II 960GB SATA III 2.5-Inch 7mm Height Solid State Drive (SSD) with Read Up To 550MB/s- SDSSDHII-960G-G25

D

Deleted member 217926

Nah. That Haswell refresh memory controller should have no problem with DDR3 2400. However with all 4 slots populated it might need a smallish voltage boost.

Have you check the RAM? Memtest overnight ( 10-12 hours to fully check 32GB ). Any errors at all mean a problem.

http://www.memtest.org/

Edit: Is XMP enabled? Crashes both with and without it enabled?

Chupacabra69

Reputable
Dec 9, 2014
hey all thanks for the fast responses.
i tested the intel cpu and it is ok according to the program. phew that's a load off my mind.
i'm doing some processing right now so i haven't had a moment to reboot to bios to check default memory config or to run the mem-test, but i will for peace of mind.
i contacted asrock and am waiting to hear back from their rma dept. there is some discrepancy, their web page says they provide support for 2 years, but newegg's product page says the warranty is 3 years. i am not sure if this is a typographical error, or if the missing year of warranty is actually through newegg instead. anyway i've contacted them both.
thanks again for your time.